eight

┍━

"𝑬𝑽𝑬𝑹𝒀𝑻𝑰𝑴𝑬 𝑰 𝑪𝑳𝑶𝑺𝑬 𝑴𝒀 𝑬𝒀𝑬𝑺,
𝑰𝑻𝑺 𝑳𝑰𝑲𝑬 𝑨 𝑫𝑨𝑹𝑲 𝑷𝑨𝑹𝑨𝑫𝑰𝑺𝑬."

┕━☽【❖】☾━┙

┕━☽【❖】☾━┙

SHE CAREFULLY poured the boiling hot tea into a small mug, as Enola watched her carefully. She looked happy, but still, something was off about her. Enola knew Adelaide didn't like complete loneliness, yet here she was in the quiet countryside with nobody around her for miles.

"You really have my brother wrapped around your finger you know." She admitted. Adelaide looked a little surprised at this. "Yeah, right. You're funny." Adelaide commented sarcastically. She never felt as though he was. Though looking back, she did get away with a lot more things than others when it came to him. "I'm serious. You know, I had to spike his tea so that he would finally sleep? It's like he can't function without you." Enola tapped the side of her mug with her finger in anxiousness. "Your brother, Sherlock Holmes, is having a mental spiral because of me?" She rolled her eyes. "I know it sounds... outlandish. But he is really a mess." Adelaide slammed the teapot down on the stove. "So... you came here to guilt trip me into going back to him?" Enola stuttered at her accusation. "No! Of course not. I heard about him not letting you out. Believe me, I scolded him more in that hour than mother did in his lifetime."

She sighed and wrapped the teatowel around the stove handle. "So what is it you are here for?" Adelaide questioned, like she didn't already know the answer. "I can tell you aren't happy here. You seem it, but you don't feel it." Adelaide stayed silent at Enola's observation. Because she was right. She wasn't happy, not at all. She enough books filled with poetry to fill the whole house. Her records were worn out and her flowers were over fed. She was tired of the sunset and the repetitive routine. Eat, write, creek, sleep. It's all she did since she left.

"I'm not going to force you back. But please think about it?" Enola begged with a pleading look in her eyes. Adelaide just stared out the dirty panes of the windows. She heard Enola sigh and leave the cottage, gently closing the door. Adelaide grabbed the nearest thing she could and threw it across the room in a spit of rage. How could she have been so stupid? To leave over a silly argument? She decided to sleep, she could think on it the next morning. She laid down on the sinking bed, it was silent. It was always silent, but tonight it was a heavy silent. There was a growing pit in her stomach as she reflected on Enola's words. She could hear rain start to patter on the glass from outside, she got more and more uncomfortable with every passing second. She tried to close her eyes and sleep, but it was useless, all she could hear was voices scolding her for what she had done.

In an unseen shot of impulse, she shot out of bed and switched an oil lamp on. Taking it to her dresser and throwing on a rouge patterned dress. She discarded the need for hair or makeup and ran out the door. Slamming it carelessly behind her. She ran through the pouring rain, the muck and mud squeaking under her boots. Until she reached that familiar cobble path.

••●••

Sherlock was dozing off in his big leather chair, a pipe in his mouth. There were still papers scattered everywhere, the candles had burned out completely, and Enola had given up on trying to change his self destructive mood.

"That pipe will burn you if you sleep with it hanging there you know." He heard a familiar voice. His eyes flicked open, and there she was, the face he had longed to see.

"Adelaide?" He took it in. She was soaked to the skin, the bottom of her dress was dirty and she was clearly out of breath. She must have ran here. Where had she been? Was she okay? Did she hate him? He had so many questions yet to be even asked.

"Sherlock. I'm sorry. I... It's not your fault." Sherlock put his hand up signalling for her to stop talking. "It's fine." He chuckled gently.

For the first time in a long time, Adelaide had felt somewhere she belonged. Somewhere she was wanted and valued. Enola saw her as a big sister in a way, and she would be a fool to not notice the way Sherlock looked at her from the corner of her view. She beamed warmly at him, he ran off and got her a towel since she was soaking wet from the rain.

He wrapped the towel around her shoulders and she just murmured a gentle 'thank you.' She could nearly sense the smile on his face. There was a tension in the room, not an angry one, but it was tense.

Their faces were nearly touching, Sherlock's eyes flickered from her eyes to her lips constantly, she rolled her eyes and cupped his face, before locking her lips with his. It was gentle and fiery at the same time. His arms wrapped around her waist and pulled her closer while hers found their way around his neck. She broke the kiss for just a breath, giggling under it. Sherlock's eyes were chained to hers. There were emotions flying around the room like birds flocking in a haze. Love, lust, confusion, infatuation. They were completely smitten.

They didn't need to speak, their eyes said everything for them, and everyone knows, eyes don't lie. Suddenly, the door creaked open.

"Sherlock did I-" Enola looked up to see two red hot faces. Her eyes widened and she backed out of the room, closing the door.

"Oh. That didn't last long. I was scared you would have to tell her." Sherlock grunted. Adelaide looked at the gold rimmed clock on top of the fireplace.
"What the hell was she doing here at 11:30 at night anyway?" Adelaide quickly sauntered over to the door, and chased after Enola down the cobble pavement.

"Enola! Wait!" She called out. The girl turned and once Adelaide caught up to her, she started laughing. "You should have seen the look on my brothers face!" Adelaide breathed a sigh of relief and hit her arm playfully. "You ruffian! I thought you were mad!" She laughed, Enola joining in with her. "Did you forget I'm a detective too? I can tell you are head over heels for him."

"Sometimes I despise your character." Adelaide sighed. "You go back there. Finish what you started. It's rude to leave with no explaining." Enola smirked. Adelaide just rolled her eyes and made her way back to Sherlocks. This is what she was missing.