The Lonely Slime

Venturing into the village for a while, I could immediately see a few changes. The village was now divided into groups that did a certain task. And there were lots of them. A group for Scouting, Defense, Hunting, Gathering Materials, Cooking, building structures, and so on. It was quite practical in place like this.

Not only that, but the wolves and goblins were now acting together with a very friendly demeanor. I had been planning to do these things as well, expecting some friction, but it seems I was worried for nothing. There was still lots of work left, but this makes it easier to implement my other plans.

While Rigurd, as the village elder, may appear responsible for these changes, I know the true culprit behind them, even without them confessing. He must have preferred not to issue direct orders to the goblins and instead instructed Rigurd from behind the scenes. Though he may think his involvement is well-hidden, it's evident to everyone in the village, no matter how hard he tries to conceal it. Surprisingly, the goblins act as if they are unaware of his involvement, which seems to ease any awkwardness he might feel.

Now then, where is he?

After inquiring about his whereabouts from Rigurd, I headed to a small hill at a short distance from the village. This vantage point offered a clear view of the village. Under the shade of a tree on the hill, a wolf with jet-black fur and a star-shaped birthmark on his forehead lay soundly asleep. Among the wolves I had seen in the village, he was notably larger. A horn protruded from the center of the star-shaped mark on his forehead, making him appear truly majestic.

He was the son of the Direwolves' boss I had defeated a few days ago. I named him Ranga, inspired by his appearance. Sensing my presence, he lifted his head to look in my direction.

"My Lord!!"

However, as soon as he saw me, he sprang to his feet and rushed in my direction, showering me with excited licks. I could feel the wind generated by his tail wagging.

Sigh! There goes that majestic moment. Well, I'm delighted he's so cheerful to see me, but still.

"Allow me to express my deepest joy at your recovery, my lord!"

The wind from his tail nearly blew me off the hill.

"Thank you, Ranga!"

As I thanked Ranga and urged him to calm down, I heard a voice.

"...You are finally awake, Rimuru."

It was Hiiro. He sat beneath the shade of the tree where Ranga had been resting. I studied him silently for a few moments before responding. His appearance hadn't changed, but...

In his voice, I detected a mix of loneliness, worry, and relief. It became apparent that I had caused him concern. I couldn't deny that he had become like a little brother to me, a bond I had never experienced before. And As the Self-proclaimed older sibling, I felt a deep embarrassment at revealing my vulnerability to him. My intention was to be the dependable and reliable figure he could turn to whenever needed, but the tables had turned, and I now found myself relying on him. While he certainly possessed dependability, my desire was to shower him with care, affection, and spoil him just like an Older brother.

Ranga spoke softly, "Master Hiiro was always by your side, except for work and occasional breaks like this."

I had suspected as much, but hearing it confirmed made me realize once again just how much he treasured me. It was a bond I shouldn't take for granted, and I couldn't afford to burden him with any more worry than I already had.

"Yes, thanks for taking care of me, Hiiro."

"..No, I will always be there for you."

That's what I appreciated about him—the unconditional care he showed me. I didn't remember doing anything to deserve it. I knew he had been alone before I met him in Veldora's cave, but I never realized how loneliness could drive a being, without consciousness and intellect, to yearn for companionship to avoid solitude. It likely revealed just how lonely he had been before he met me.