Back to Life

Mia's POV:

Selene wrote a letter to Starry and told me not to open it but to leave it in a particular place.

"I'll keep this letter nice and safe, don't you worry." The paper looked neatly folded, with a bit of heart holding the middle together. I placed the letter in a safe spot underneath the bed, and although tempted to take a peak, I stopped myself before wrapping myself back into the bed with the letter being kept secret, even though I did not know what it could be about.

Disappearing within the white sheets, I fall back asleep while movements of my chest rise up and down, calming down to sleep while hugging my pillow for warmth.

Within the hours spent resting, the overcast sky shines through the window. Finally, feeling fully rested, I get out of bed, rubbing my puffy eyes, and recover from deep sleep. Despite all the drama with Starry not coming back late into the night or meeting Selene. What a weird night.

I am immediately drawn to the bustling activity outside as I shuffle my way to the big window that overlooks everything from a distance. Despite the recent blizzard, everything has gone back to life as usual. The streets are filled with cars and buses, honking and jostling for space as they enter the crowded streets. Meanwhile, in the parks and public spaces, people are out in force, enjoying the aftermath of the snowfall. Some are skating on frozen ponds while others visit local attractions and take in the sights. The atmosphere is festive and lively.

The city is lively, unlike Starry, who is still sleeping. I sigh, knowing I have to address the issue with Starry being out so late and why he's out so late in the first place. His daydreams get the best of him, causing him to do foolish things. I exited my bedroom, crossing my arms, going down the hall past the bathroom and to Starry's bedroom, where he slept without a care. I yank his bedsheets, puffing my cheeks in anger. "Wake up, you lazy bum, and don't you dare fall asleep again. We need to talk."

Starry's POV:

Well, I wouldn't be lying if I were to stay: I was having one of the best dreams I've had in a while until I was snapped awake by Mia and the brisk air of my comforter being taken away from me. I groaned, curling up in my bed, trying to persevere the last warmth still on my bed, and I turned away from Mia. "Do we have to?" My voice came out raspy as I yanked my sheets back from her, sitting up and trying to wake myself up without growing an attitude.

On the foot of the bed, Mia sat with her cheeks puffed, trying to show an angered expression but failing, making her look more like a chipmunk, and it took out all the seriousness of the conversation she wanted to have with me. I make a snarky comment to add to the one we already had: "You look so cute when you get mad."

Her face softens as she breathes, and her cheeks return to normal. She rubs her forehead, closed her eyes, and speaks more disappointedly and worriedly. "Starry, this is serious." My heart sank to my chest, and it felt heavy as a lump formed in my throat as I prepared for another lecture. "You could've gotten seriously hurt. Don't ever do that again."

Not knowing what else to say, I let out a defeated sigh: "I'm sorry I didn't mean to be out for so long again..." I'm suddenly cut off as her arms are wrapped tightly around and her anger completely melts away.

She released from my grasp and crossed her arms, ending her lecture and returning to a soft expression as she felt my body temperature and heart pulse, putting her head close to my chest as it increased by her affection. It caused me to smile, feeling a warm body on mine, and I started gently tracing circles on her back, releasing the tension in my body.

We stayed like this for a few minutes, embracing each other. "I didn't mean to be out for so long again..." I want to keep talking but stop myself from revealing the truth of what happened last night. Looking at me, Mia looked into my eyes with a different emotion—no longer sadness but now a tinge of disappointment.

She opened her thick lips before starting her lecture. "Starry, you can't keep doing dumb things like that, you big airhead. You have college applications and graduation coming up, so no more daydreaming. Some girl had to pick you up on the street."

Releasing her from my chest, I question myself: A girl, was it Selene? I shook these thoughts away, speaking in a quiet, whispery voice, knowing she was right. "I know I can't keep having my head in the clouds all the time..." I want to say more about Selene and how we went to the moon, but I can't, and all that comes out is a defeated sigh. "Fine, I'll do better."

Mia stands up, outstretching her slender legs, and walks to the window, looking at the dim morning sky. "You better; you still have your whole life ahead of you." Her voice was soft, but her words were harsh. I couldn't keep living in a daydream even if someone else was living this dream with me. Where are you, Selene?

.

.

Selene's POV:

I ran into the cityscape, nearly escaping the blizzard again. Keeping a steady pace, I ran into the snow, wanting to be home and alone with my thoughts. I didn't know how to feel. Part of me felt happy meeting Starry and hearing more of that story. But then part of me kept questioning everything that happened. From all the times I've gone onto the moon, the Archevisits never told me a story like that. Was that story even real? I'm no goddess, or did I used to be a goddess? I was so distracted by my thoughts while running that I bumped into someone distracted trying to signal a taxi.

Oh, I'm sor-" They hugged me tightly and gently wiped my cheeks, comforting me.

"Don't cry, my beautiful goddess.

I'm no god-" I'm taken aback once more when he kisses me, a kiss that makes me feel so warm and loved inside."My heart beats faster, and my chest feels warm and full. I momentarily get lost in the kiss, wrapping my arms around the person. Their lips felt so familiar as I pressed closer, closing my eyes and completely losing myself in a rush of emotion. Wiping my lips softly, I look up to meet a gentle, loving gaze. I see who this beautiful person holding me close is. It was Kai; he looked so handsome as our eyes met once more. He leaned in and kissed me again, even more deeply than before.

My body felt even weaker, being overwhelmed by the kiss once more, falling into his chest as he held me close, feeling my cheeks blush on his muscular chest. "I love you." I hide in his coat, trying to get warmth in the cold winter. My eyes traveled up to his as holding me close. "Aren't you supposed to be on your trip now?"

Kai looks down at me with a smirk."I was, but my flight got delayed, and I ran into you." He tugs me closer as he signals for a taxi. Now, let's hurry up and get to the airport, but there is somewhere I want to take you, and that's around the airport before I leave." I agree before I sit with him in the taxi.

"So, where is this special place you want to take me to?" He shrugs as his eyes flash red momentarily, holding my waist close.

"You'll see in a moment." His words become more mysterious as I look out the window, watching the taxi drive away from the apartment complexes into the city's heart. "An evening to remember."

I look out the window solemnly. I'll see you again, Starry...