35. DEALING WITH HATE

The Negative Side Of The Idol Life

Nabi was sitting with her back against the wall in the dance room. Stray Kids were taking a break from practice while Minho and Chan smoothed over some final moves by themselves. The music was still blaring but Nabi easily drowned the sound out as she scrolled through the comments appearing on her phone. They were hateful comments.

Nabi wasn't someone who paid much mind to things like that. She'd learned from her brother and BTS that the only things comments like those gave were anxiety and mental instability. They'd make an idol try harder and harder... try so hard until they finally collapsed just to meet the insane demands of toxic fans and obvious haters. Unrealistic expectations. Nabi watched over the years the damage that those kinds of things could bring, especially to someone less resilient.

For curiosity's sake though, Nabi wanted to see what they were saying about her and her members. She should've known better since it only managed to piss her off. She knew their real fans, STAY, would never say such things about any of them but these weren't considered their real fans. They were fake fans.

Tell me I'm not the only one who's noticed how Nabi's picked up weight recently.

Her cheeks are puffing out. She's getting chubby.

Honestly, she's just a pretty face for the group.

Yeah, no talent whatsoever!

She's holding Stray Kids back from their full potential...

What was JYP thinking debuting her?

She's a main vocalist? My dog could sing better than THAT

These comments were pretty predictable. Nabi had already mentally prepared herself to read things like this but it was more the comments aimed toward her members. She was okay with getting the hate but she absolutely hated it when people were mean to those close to her.

Jisung talks too much...

Bang Chan really sucks as a leader. Who can he lead?

Hyunjin's just another pretty face...

Changbin's rapping is way too aggressive!

Jeongin's trying too hard to be cute...

Lee Know looks so mean. He should smile more.

Seungmin's vocals aren't even that good.

Felix isn't even properly fluent in Korean

If only these haters knew how hard every idol worked. How hard Stray Kids worked. That the idol life was no joke and actually really difficult and stressful.

If they could only see the way Chan sacrificed his sleep every day for his members. The way Han got nervous and internally panicked. Or how hard Hyunjin would practice just to show he was more than just his handsome face. How many hours Felix used up to learn Korean instead of sleeping. How Changbin repeated his rap parts over and over again until his throat was sore and his voice was hoarse. The way Jeongin failed time and time again but kept practicing until it was perfect even if he was dead tired and had school in only an hour or two. And Seungmin, who was insecure about so many things but acted strong and gave his best over and over again without hesitation.

It hurt Nabi more than anything. She didn't mind the comments and hurtful words directed at her but she just couldn't handle seeing people try and drag her members down. It made her so angry without even realizing it. She only noticed the pain of her nails digging into her palms once the music stopped and Chan's voice echoed throughout the dance room. Instantly Nabi unclenched her fists and released a deep breath to calm herself down.