xviii

Chiara mindlessly scrolled through TikTok while simultaneously eating dragon sushi rolls. It had been almost a month since her album har come out and she couldn't go a single scroll on TikTok without seeing a song of hers.

Schrodinger and Coulomb sat adjacent to her with Chiara pushing the two cats away every time they tried to eat her food. Kepler sat in her lap, purring.

It was a chilly day in New York and one of her free days, so she decided to self-care and relax with her children. She pulled down to the notifications page on her ChiChi phone to see a good morning text from Tommy that she hadn't replied to. He texted her every morning and night, something he used to do for her as Ara.

Her head spun slightly. Two versions of herself were messing with the same dude, and he was none the wiser. She wasn't blind to the comments of people saying Tommy was switching from girl to girl. Sometimes she wished she could reply to them and say he wasn't, nor should they care, but she always left it alone.

She opened the TikTok camera and propped her phone onto a cup of bubble tea to get a look at herself. Her hair was down and crimped, and she wore a grey sweater with overalls. She picked up Kepler, who was now awake, and presented her to the phone so she could see herself. The kitten's eyes widened while trying to reach for herself. Chiara smiled at the kitten before releasing it onto the table. Kepler made the decision to jump back into her lap and sleep.

Her instant thought was to send it to Tommy. Not as ChiChi, but as Ara. She wanted to share everything with her friends. She looked around at her apartment, and it was so quiet. The only noise for miles was the purring of her kittens, and with each pur, it inched Chiara closer to a cat lady.

With a sigh, she scrolled through TikTok and clicked the first sound that wasn't a song of hers.

-🂠🃑🃁🂱🂡-

Tommy had gone out for a run in his neighborhood due to his house's sudden poor internet connection and was a few blocks away from his house.

He was listening to Taylor Swift's "Evermore" album after Ara had talked on stream about how it was her favorite album when he started to receive hundreds of texts from multiple Minecraft group chats he was in. He clicked on the only one he had pinned to see 35 notifications from them.

-🂠🃑🃁🂱🂡-

Messages

SATURDAYS R FOR THE BOYS🇺🇸‼️🥇🫵

un-smelted brick:
guys what the fuck

t o o b:
GUYS

DREAM

un-smelted brick:
YOU SAW IT TOO

t o o b:
YEAH

un-smelted brick:
GUYS

IM FREAKING OUT

samsung refrigerator:
bro

i just saw it

what the hell

no fucking way

punzilla:
im shitting bricks

wilbur did u know
about this??

Imanburg killer:
im texting her rn

no i didn't think
she'd do it so
soon

she didn't tell
anyone

duck deez nuts in yo mof:
im shaking

no fucking way
thats real

the muffin king:
language

but what the flip

t o o b:
im freaking out

like literally crying

she's not responding
to any of my texts

Imanburg killer:
me neither

un-smelted brick:
same here

bitchinnit:
whats happening???

colorsnotfound:
TOMMY

LOOK AT
ARA'S TIKTOK RN

un-smelted brick:
TOMMY GO

bitchinnit:
what the fuck?

mustache man:
i'd normally make
a joke but tommy
go look now we're
not kidding

-🂠🃑🃁🂱🂡-

Tommy ran back home, his phone not shutting up about God knows what. He scurried upstairs to his room before jumping into his bed and opening TikTok. His phone took forever to load in. A new TikTok had popped up on Ara's feed but due to his lack of wifi, the preview was a mere grey loading box, unable to signify what the TikTok consisted of, but he clicked it anyway.

The video still wasn't loading, but for just uploading it a few minutes ago, it had a shit ton of likes. The caption read, "i'll get in trouble for this but fuck it," which shocked Tommy immediately. Ara didn't curse. It wasn't her thing.

He made the decision to change into a different set of clothing while the TikTok continued to load. He was halfway putting his shirt on when the TikTok loaded to a girl standing in the frame. Tommy froze in place, his head not even fully through the hole of his shirt, when he tripped and fell onto the ground, trying to run to his phone.

"Fucking 'ell," Tommy groaned as he frantically fixed his clothes. While on the floor, he reached for his phone and replayed the TikTok, not sure of what he would see.

His mom called his name, wondering what the loud thud was. He ignored her and continued lying on the ground as the TikTok played.

It was to the first verse of the song "Cupid's Chokehold" by Gym Class Heroes, and there was a familiar girl in the frame. She wore a grey sweater under blue overalls, and her hair was dark and long. She was beautiful. Her smile was as bright as the sun.

The girl danced around in her kitchen to the song, lipsyncing the whole verse. Even an idiot could connect the dots on who it was and why everyone was freaking out. Tommy hadn't noticed he had been holding his breath until the TikTok had repeated about five times.

It was ChiChi. Ara was ChiChi.

-🂠🃑🃁🂱🂡-

the reference tiktok: https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTREh58Xg/?t=1