iii

Chiara had been working on an album for some time. She had been on and off with it due to her busy schedule and concert dates, but she had only 2 songs left to produce and 1 left to finish writing.

This was her most anticipated album, which scared her the most. After the news that Louis Partridge, her boyfriend of a year turned ex, cheated on her and continued to talk shit after the breakup, everyone was waiting for her response.

She wanted to keep it as civil as she could until the album came out, which would show her true emotions about the whole situation. She had already released one single off the album, "More Fun to Miss," which excited fans due to how angry it sounded. She'd release a second one later  on before the actual album premiere.

She was finishing with the recording of her song "Cruel World" when Jojo raised into the booth.

"That sounded great, Chi, really," he said in a monotone voice. "The album's release date is..."

"November 9th?"

He pointed at her and nodded. "Right. Do you think it's too close for you to feature on another artist's song?"

Chiara furrowed her brow at the offer. "You sure? Aren't we releasing a single off the album soon?"

"Yeah, but it's been almost 3 years since you released music. Everyone knows you're up to something, but they don't know what. Featuring on this type of song by this band would throw everyone off your track and get more traction for the album, no?"

She sighed, contemplating it. "I've released like... 3 singles since my EP, Jo."

He rolled his eyes. "Yes, but they don't get enough listens. That's what you get for releasing music without asking me first."

She wanted to argue, but she knew it was his word over hers. "What's the song?"

"It's a type of breakup song. The band has a good amount of fans, and the lead singer wants your voice in the song. They'll also be at Shaky Knees, so an offer to sing with them on stage is also on the table. They have a different sound from yours but not so different that it's surprising."

"Uhh, fine, I guess," she said, fiddling with the headphones around her neck. "Who are they?"

Jojo pinched the bridge of his nose. "Arugh, dammit, I just had their name on my mind too. They texted you on Instagram, I believe. You can tell them you agree yourself," he said, motioning for her to do it now.

She pulled out her phone, switched her Instagram to @chichi, and scrolled through her DM's from verified accounts, hoping they were verified.

Jojo snapped his fingers in realization. "Ah! I remember. They're called Lovejoy."

Just as he said that, her finger hovered over the DM from their Instagram. Her breath hitched as she clicked the conversation open.

—🂠🃑🃁🂱🂡—

Lovejoy wants to send you a message:

Lovejoy
hey! this might be
a long shot but would
you be able to feature
on one of our songs
for an upcoming album?

we think ur voice would
fit perfectly with the
message we're trying to
convey. we'll be in new york
next week due to touring
and we'd love to work
with you then. (:

here's a sample:

—🂠🃑🃁🂱🂡—

"Fuckity fuck fucking fuck," Chiara groaned, rubbing her forehead. She opened the message now, so she either had to respond or leave them open and be an asshole. She stared at the message a little longer before listening to the voice recording.

It started out with a bass solo at the beginning before all the other instruments jumped in, creating this cool sound. Chiara always loved their music, so it was no surprise she'd like this one. The lyrics and Wilbur's voice were insane.

It's 3:45 (a.m.)
And I just bite my tongue
Update me on your life
And now you've found the one
But I don't like his eyes
And I distrust their name
And I hate their haircut
They look like a prick (a prick)

The chorus was her favorite part, and Wilbur emphasized her voice is what would make it a better mid-voice recording. The second verse was just instrumental, with Wilbur stating she could write the verse herself.

"Fuck, it's good," she said, frowning. "It's really good."

Jojo's brow furrowed. "So... what's wrong?"

"I just... know the lead singer. Nothing bad, but... this makes me anxious."

"You don't have to say yes if you don't want—"

"No, I will. It's fine." She typed a quick response and sent it before throwing her phone across the room onto a couch and taking her mind off of it. He didn't know it was her, per se. She'll cross that bridge if she had to get there.

—🂠🃑🃁🂱🂡—

Instagram

chichi
hey, lovejoy ! i'd love to
work with you guys (: the song sounds
sick, id love to help with it

lmk the dates u guys r in
the city and we can plan it out

—🂠🃑🃁🂱🂡—

Messages
the s🫦m😩p🍆 gc

willywill:
OMFGDHS GUYS GUESS WHAT

゚•┈┈┈┈୨♡୧┈┈┈┈•゚

im a bit brassed off with the timeline in this but who cares hopefully yall r reading it nonetheless lolz