Chapter 21: Forward

"You can't go out there alone, Kelsey! What if something happens to you and I... and no one is there to protect you? You will be too far to even have the blessing of someone hearing you scream." Panic thickened in Finnick's voice as he anxiously ran unsteady fingers through his hair.

I stand, uncurling my leg from where it cushioned my spot on the edge of my bed. Approaching him, he pauses his anxious fiddling, watching me carefully. Reaching up for his wrist, I gently tugged his hand away from his distressed locks. I held his hand in both of mine, studying the contours.

"You have been protecting me ever since we first met, Finn." I start, looking up to meet his frantic gaze. "You told me I have gotten stronger, that I am more capable now than ever." Lifting one hand, I cupped his cheek. He leaned in ever-so-slightly. "I believe I can do this Finnick." I didn't, but it wouldn't help matters for him to know that.

"Kelp, you know I think you've grown. I just... I don't want anything to happen to you. I would rather die than know you got hurt because I-" His hand tightened in mine as I cut him off.

"I can't take you with me. I can't drag you from Portum–from your father. I wouldn't drag you into that kind of danger with me. That, and Elder Tham sent you to me when we were children. Whatever the reason, it is wise to be wary of their intentions Finn. I can't involve you in this, not any more than I already have."

I watched as he parted his lips to voice a rebuttal, closing them quickly as he decided not to share his thoughts. It unsettled me. I knew he still had things to hide, but he had never so obviously held something from me before. It was unnatural.

"I need to go talk to Shane," I stated, no longer maintaining eye contact. I couldn't bear to look at the pain that was sure to be forming behind his eyes. The deafening silence bore down on me, causing me to shift my weight from the discomfort.

"Alright," Finn answered, finally breaking the silence. "Let me know when you get back." Without another word, I listened as Finnick walked out of the hut, his shoes crunching against the rough ground.

Tears trail their way down my cheek, the dam threatening to break away as the weight of everything that has happened falls upon me. I need to tell Shane what is going on. Running a hand through my hair, I winced. I flung my hand from my scalp and studied the gash I created. Tracing gentle fingers along its edge, I grimaced at the marred skin.

Swiftly, I rushed to the bathroom. Rinsing the cut gently with what water remained in the bucket, I made quick work of tending to it.

I will have to fill that back up when I am finished.

Wrapping my hand up in some loose fabric I tore from the edge of an old shirt, I focused on using the strip sparingly.

This will have to do.

I could pick up some of the green plants by the chasm if need be. It helped in the healing process of my back wounds, which now left faint scars. My heart panged slightly as I thought of Malek and how he must be feeling. I urged it away, knowing that was a mental storm to be dealt with later.

***

Walking into the encampment, I watched as new recruits flooded the training grounds. Cliff was surveying as Lila took a turn training the young soldiers. Doing my best not to draw too much attention, I placed a hand atop Cliff's shoulder. He held back the shock that came with my appearance.

"Welcome back, Miller." He stated, rolling his shoulders back as he refocused on the trainees.

"Where's Shane?" I asked flatly. He flicked his eyes back to me in response.