Chapter 3: Secrets

I stare at the tarp roof of my home as I lie on the floor, with my feet propped up on my bed. I had many questions.

Why did Finn, someone with such a kind heart, refuse to help the drowning man?

He never let go of the chance to help anyone that needed it. It's the whole reason we met. He protected me from bullies when we were growing up. He was always there to defend me. We soon became inseparable. I feel my heart clench at the thought that he had just left that person to die. He had to have a reason, a good one. If I had to guess, that reason had something to do with Elder Tham. Why were they looking at each other when we came up? Why was I sent back home with no answers?

They knew something I didn't, and I'm not letting that slide.

It has been about a week since then. Elder Tham suggested I stay away from diving for a little while and sent Portum's psychologist to my hut. She came every day around noon to check on "how I was doing." Of course, I knew they claimed the whole "drowning man" event was a figment of my imagination. I used this to my advantage when she ran mental evaluations. She checked on me for the last time yesterday, but the rumors had already spread. Due to this, despite being permitted to dive again, everyone looked at me like I was mentally unwell.

I don't care what they think. I just want some answers. I didn't imagine what I saw.

I haven't seen Finn since that day, though I hear he has been out diving every day since. Biting down on my lip, I fight back the sick feeling of betrayal.

He has to have a reason.

They are sending me back out to dive today, still not having told me a thing. They assigned me a diving partner, Liam. I wanted to complain and beg them to assign me and Finn together, but right now I am unsure if that is a good idea. The route they gave us for today is the complete opposite direction of the chasm. However, there was no way I wasn't going to investigate. I needed answers that they didn't want me to have. My best hope is to find some clues at the scene. My stomach twisted as I thought of the drowned man. I held onto a small glimmer of hope that he was still alive, whoever he was.

I had to prepare for ditching my partner and exploring. I grabbed an extra food bag and concealed it within another.

That oughta do it. Time to go.

As I exited my room, my eyes were caught by my mother's. She has pretended as if nothing has happened, not eager to face the alternative. My father has been wary of conversation with me altogether, quick to depart each morning before I rise and return far after I am asleep. They were coping in their own way I suppose.

Have I ever not caused them problems?

Turning away from my mother, I stepped out and glanced at Finn's neighboring hut. My heart squeezed as I looked away and approached the artificial shores I've long come to despise. My new diving partner was already there, all geared up. He seemed very wary of me.

It'll be way too easy to ditch him. He doesn't want to be anywhere near me. Most people haven't since the show I put on at the welcoming committee yesterday.

I chuckled to myself.

"Hey divin' buddy, I'm gonna go ahead and jump in. Don't worry about me. Go do your own thing." With that, I winked at him and dived.

He looked pretty relieved that he wouldn't have to stick by me. I felt the cold compression of the ocean taking me in. Amid all the craziness, I had almost forgotten how much I loved just being under the water's surface. I took a moment to compose myself before continuing what I had set out to do.

Reluctantly I opened my eyes and went out to the old building Finn and I scavenged at. After I went in, I grabbed the extra bag that I hid earlier and filled it up. I searched for a good place to stash it. Eventually, I went behind a table-like structure and stuffed it into one of the shelves built into it. I had never seen something like it before, but it worked for what I needed it for. Plus, it sat at the back of the building, so it was unlikely anyone would find it before my next scavenge. With that, I filled up my other bag and stashed it in the same place. I would come back for it once I completed investigating.