Chapter 14: Charm

Waking naturally before the break of dawn, I realized how long it's been since I had felt this refreshed. Revitalized, I was ready for my morning exercise. Knowing I had to sneak past Haile, I quietly made it past her room, sneaking my way to the exit through the dark.

"Kelsey."

I jumped at the sudden raspy beckoning from behind me. Turning to where the sound came from, I found myself face to face with Damien. He was standing just inches from me, towering over my figure.

"Quiet." He whispered with a finger over his mouth. "Come into my room. We need to talk."

I nodded, unsure what he needed to speak with me about. Following him into his room, I leaned against the wall. He sat on his makeshift bed, propping his elbows on his knees and knitting his fingers together. His hands pressed against his lips as he thought about what to say. I could do nothing else but wait patiently in the unnerving atmosphere.

"You've been doing some self-training?" He finally questioned.

"Just a little. I am just a 'weak newbie' after all. I have to catch up with everyone somehow." I answered. Though my words were powerful, my conviction was weak.

"Let me see your hand." He ordered, extending his own.

I paused in disbelief before eventually complying. As I reached out my hand he grabbed it roughly, turning it to study my scarred palm. He yanked it, urging me towards him. Once I was close enough, he turned my arm to examine my forearm down to my scabbed elbow. He looked up to meet my eyes slowly. His pupils barely peeked beneath his eyelids. His green eyes burned with disapproval. As I quickly became uncomfortable under his sudden unspoken scrutiny, I ripped my arm from his firm grip.

"Kelsey."

I had never heard my name paired with such a dark tone.

"You aren't that weak. You were doing fine. You're scarring yourself, and for what? To prove something?" With that he stood quickly, placing both of his hands, slowly, on the wall on either side of my head. "Are you trying to prove something because I called you weak?" His words held rage, but I didn't miss the underlying tone of pain in his voice.

"Damien. It has nothing to do with what you called me," I turned from him, unable to look him in the eye at this proximity, "but I wasn't 'fine.' I was 'that weak.' I still am not strong enough yet. You know that. Everyone knows that. I am working this hard because I want to become stronger, not because I was bullied into it."

"Just..." Frustration was clear in his tone. "Take it easy."

I nodded, shoving his chest gently to free myself. As I began to walk back towards the exit, I heard him behind me.

"What are you doing now?"

He was leaning against the wall with his arms crossed. "I'm going for a swim."

Directing his eyes towards the wall, he remained silent.

"Care to join?"

Appearing flustered by my question, he swiftly runs fingers through his hair. "What, do you need a lifeguard?"

I laughed at his attempt to embarrass me. "Suit yourself." I teased, walking out of the dorm house. I knew it worked when I heard the sound of footsteps approaching from behind.

I turned the corner of the building to find my place by the shore. Upon approach, I noticed something lying on the shore's edge.

"What's that?" I asked Damien who was straggling behind me.

"What are you going on about?"

"I think something may have washed up." I quickened my pace to get closer and investigate.