Chapter 20: Deception

I woke with a start at the firm voice outside my hut's entrance. Finn's arms shifted at my waist upon my jolted movement. He had insisted on staying the night, not wanting to leave me alone to the venom of my thoughts. I don't remember when I fell asleep, just the gentle strokes of his fingers on my scalp and spine that lulled me. His free hand found its way to the crook of my elbow, squeezing slightly.

"What's wrong?" He questioned sleepily.

"Kelsey Miller." The stranger voiced once more.

I shifted upward, neglecting to answer Finnick's question. His hands fell loose as I moved out of his grasp, too tired to intervene.

Approaching the tarp, I peeled back one of the flaps. "That's me." I offered to the soldier that stood in front of the entrance.

"Kelsey Miller, you must don your gear and report to the shoreline for further instruction. Elder Tham and Elder Jade will join you shortly." The man turned promptly upon deliverance of his message.

Letting the tarp fall, I scurried back to my room. I scrambled to find my gear, hoping the pace would cloud my mind to any extent. I did not want to have a moment to think about what I was going to do once I was in the water. Finnick sat up slowly, lifting a hand to rub his eyes.

"Slow down, Kelp. You are going to hurt yourself." He mumbled.

I leaned forward to toss the rough blanket over his head, obstructing his sight. "Keep it on," I added as his hands began to pull it off.

He fell backward onto the unforgiving bed, relenting dramatically.

I made quick work of changing, prepping to slip my feet into the legs of my suit. In my haste, I kneed myself in the eye, wincing loudly in wake of the action.

"What happened?" Finn asked, his voice muffled by the sheet he once again attempted to pull off.

"Do not look. I'm fine." I ordered firmly, too stubborn to accept his assistance. My cheeks flushed as I continued my mission.

With one hand over my wounded eye, I pulled my leg through the sleeve. I stood quickly, hopping to assist my zipper along its track.

"About finished?" He questioned, drama thick in his tone.

"Yes," I answered, not entertaining the emotion.

He yanked the fabric from his face, swiftly making his way over to me. As I walked towards where the rest of my gear lay, he curled an arm around my waist, tilting his head to look me in the eye. I refused to make contact, wanting only to continue prepping. I wanted to keep moving. I didn't want to allow myself even a second to think – to process.

"Kelsey," he whispered softly. "Relax."

"I can't, Finn. How can I relax?" I sputtered, anxiety threatening the corners of my mind.

Gently pulling me closer, he wove careful fingers through my hair, soothing me. "You need to have a clear mind for what you are about to do. You need to be able to calculate each action you take when you're down there." He trailed a finger from the crook of my neck, curling it beneath my chin. He forced my gaze to meet his. "You don't know what you are going to have to do down there. There is no prepping for it, but you can calm your mind. Now, take a deep breath."

He intensified his gaze when I made no move to listen. I rolled my eyes, taking in a dramatically rugged breath before letting it out smoothly.

His eyes softened subtly. "Good."

He released me to grab the scattered gear and assist with the adjustments.

***

Grinding the sand beneath my shoes, I tried to ignore the sick feeling that made stay in my gut. I wish I hadn't sent Finnick home after heading out here. Standing next to Portum's artificial shore as I waited for the Elders' arrival, I would have preferred Finn's voice over my inner monologue.