𝐀𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐥

"..A trick?"

Blake folds his arms across his chest, his biceps flexing against the tightened material of his shirt. If he isn't being such a dick, and isn't occupying my ice, I might just think he looks good right now. His hair is tousled, stray pieces falling across his brow. His cheeks are flushed with the cold, and his gaze is darkened and set upon me. I frown, and he grins, his teeth white and dazzling.

"You heard me, honey."

I hate the way my heart jumps hearing 'honey' slip from his lips, but it's the way it rolls so smoothly, it effortlessly off his tongue, like a second language. I wonder how many girls he's spoken to like this.

"I don't think-"

Cam, who is already close to me, skates forward, his hand gently clasping my arm to cut me off. He looks at me, his smile soft and genuine. Usually, I hate being touched without permission, but I know Cam means no harm. When he speaks, it's quiet, so much so that his team all has to lean forward to hear. They all look stupid, standing there like a pack of dogs.

"Don't let us ruin your ice time, April...let loose, have some fun.."

Cam, as always, has a point. If I leave now, I won't have a way to get rid of my post-comp adrenaline. Whether I win or I lose, I'm always so buzzing with energy, I have to exercise one way or another. Now, don't get me wrong, skating isn't always the answer...once or twice, I've preferred to take part in a different activity, one that usually requires a drink and another person. I haven't hooked up in God knows how long- fulfilling sexual angst isn't exactly at the top of my to-do list, not when I have grades to maintain and skating to practice. I simply don't have time for a hookup, let alone a committed relationship. I dated a football player from school a year or so back, and I could only see him once a week or so outside of classes- he and I were always practicing, him on the field, me at the rink. It didn't last long. 

I glance across to the boys, then back to Cam. They did take the time out of their days to stay for the competition, which is a rare occurrence. I like when they do shit like that, because it draws in more people from school and around town- more people means more funding for the rink, which we all know it needs. I sigh, then nod, reluctant. 

"Fine."

The boys holler and snicker, a few of them looking much too smug for my taste. So, I open my mouth to continue speaking. However, they're all too lost in their excitement, Jay stepping up to natter to his closer friends. I purse my lips shut and wait, but nobody notices- not even Cam, who has skating across to Lucas' side. Ah, wait- one noticed.

Blake clears his throat, and the team falls silent. Wow. One sound from the captain and they're obeying just like that. That kind of influence freaks me the fuck out. I avoid Blake's humoured gaze and instead look over towards the bulk of the group, folding my arms across my chest.

"You want a trick? I'll give you a trick."

"A good old trick from April Fools- just what we need."

Jay speaks, snorts, then receives an elbow to the side from James. Even though James is a bit of a suck-up to Jay, I appreciate that he knows when he's stepping over the line. Deciding not to quip back and instead just to continue, I skate to wider, open sheet of ice, skidding to a clean stop in the centre. The team shifts around to look at me, and I can't help but grin. This should be fun. 

"Alright...you're gonna hold your arms up like this."

I raise my arms to level with my shoulders, naturally adjusting my posture so that my back is straight, and my head is tilted. 

"Then, you get some speed...move into a scratch- erm, a turn, and then you, uh. Whatever, I'll just show you."

I have to dumb down my terminology, because I can't bare to see the confused look on their faces much longer. It's like trying to teach penguins how to fly- impossible.  I make a turn, then do as I had said, picking up speed until I can feel the wind rushing past my ears. Then, I raise a leg and lean my bodyweight to one side until I'm spinning on the spot, tightly drawing my arms in to my chest. Once I've gained the momentum, I slowly lower my weight downwards until I'm positioned in a sit-spin. I hold the position long enough to look good, but not so much that the boys won't even try. Then, I rise back to full height, slow down and lift a leg outwards, gliding back before making a final stop. It takes me a couple of seconds to stop seeing double of the team, but I eventually make out their mixed expressions- Cam, as always, looks proud, Jackson looks baffled, Lucas looks as though he's just seen an alien and Jay... Jay looks smug. He speaks, loud and clear.

"You call that a trick? Looks easy to me."

I raise my brows and skate to the side, motioning a hand to the empty space. 

"Be my guest."

Blake doesn't say a word, but he looks amused- too amused, it's annoying. Still, I want Jay's ego kicked down a notch. Jay simply scoffs and skates into the space, shaking his arms as though warming up. He lifts his arms (too high, but I don't tell him that) and copies my movement, circling until he has gained enough speed to attempt to spin. However, his rotation is too harsh on his left side, and he yelps, slamming onto the cold ice, ass first. Everyone bursts into laughter, and I can't help but join in. Jay, however, doesn't find it funny. In fact, he's furious. He scrambles up, and I don't notice he's skating towards me until his hands are clasping my arms and he's slamming me to the wall, his grip harsh, fingers digging into my skin. I gasp as my back hits the glass, and he gets right up in my face, yelling. 

"You think you're funny, huh? You think you're all that because you win a pretty little contest? You think you're gonna be the champion? Well, reality check, you're not. Being pretty only gets you so far, slut-"

In a second, Jay is yanked backwards, before too being slammed up against the glass. Blake, however, shows no sign of stopping. He presses him right up into the wall, Jay helpless to his strength. 

"You ever, ever  say shit like that to her again, and you're not just off the team- I will fucking end you myself. You got that?"

I stand there, frozen in shock like a deer in the headlights, watching as Jay has no other choice but to simply nod, his eyes squeezing shut in fear. Blake isn't satisfied. 

"I asked you a question, asshole." 

"Yes, yes- yes, Blake." 

Blake releases him, and he slumps downwards, breathing hard. 

"Get the fuck out of my sight."