THREE

DAISY

DAISY

I changed from my red lingerie into a pair of comfortable pajamas and a T-shirt.

I hated this day to my core because it was my birthday. I turn twenty-six today and I despise being born. This was the day me and Kevin were forced to live our shitty lives by ourselves.

When I get on my bed, at exactly midnight, my phone rings. Kevin. Every being in my body wanted me to let the phone keep ringing as I do every year but Kevin is persistent. Stubborn child. But this year, I wanted everything to be different. I didn't have Candy anymore and I was mourning the loss of a good friend and I need one too at this moment. So I suck up my fucking pride and answer the phone, "Yes, Kevin?" He chokes on something and I'm worried, "Kevin, you okay?" He coughs, "I'm fine. I'm... shocked. What the f-" I warn, "You better not finish that sentence, young man." He coughs even more, "Did you pick up the phone on your birthday?" I sigh, and grumble sarcastically, "It's your lucky day." He snorts, "I bet."

Then there's silence on both sides and I break it first, "Kevin..." he snorts, "I'm sorry, I'm still shocked." I roll my eyes, "Is that all you wanna say to your big sister?"

"Yeah, right. Sorry. Happy birthday, Daisy!"

The way he says it is the cutest thing ever that puts a smile on my sour face, "Thank you." He says, "Let this day be when your brother grants you a wish. Tell me, Ms. Daisy, what will it be?" I play to think it over, "Hmm... Cheetos!" He laughs, "That's what you want every day!"

"Because they taste good!"

"Seriously, Daisy, I wanna gift you something this year because you keep denying it. Let me be the best brother for once."

"You already are the best brother ever."

"I know but I wanna be the bestest brother ever."

I chuckle, "What do you want me to have?" There's silence on the other end and then he says, "If I could, I'll give you the world." That puts a smile on my face and spreads warmth in my chest. I had someone to take care of me. That's more than enough in this world.
Then he hisses, "I'm sorry if that sounded cringe. I'm never doing that again. I want you to have worms for dinner!" I chuckle loudly, "You're annoying."

"But for real though, I want you to spend this birthday with me. Right now."

"Kevin, you know the rules. We can't. If Zane finds out or even gets a whiff of you... you remember what he said, right?"

"Oops..."

"What the hell do you mean by 'oops'?"

Then I hear a knock on the window and I sigh, "Kevin, that better not be you for I swear to god I will let you fall!" He cries, "Open the damn door, Daisy, I'm boiling out here!" I roll my eyes and put my phone down, getting on my knees to open the window above my bed. The first thing he throws is his shoes and then a bag of snacks and then himself, jumping on me, tackling me to the bed, flying himself on me like a fucking koala, "Happy birthday!"