Monday, January 9, 2023

Valerie

I'm sitting at my desk going through some emails when there's a knock on the door. Not much later, Anne appears in the doorway. " Are you coming?". I look at my watch. "Shit, I didn't realize it was so late." I close my laptop and get up quickly. Together with Anne I quickly walk to the cafeteria. "This is still the most beautiful moment of the day". Anne says with a big smile on her face. I can't blame her. When I take my standard spot, leaning against a wall, I immediately make eye contact with the woman who still makes my heart beat faster. She gives me a wink before sitting on one of the tables in the middle of the canteen. "Since today is the first day of school in the new year, I'm doing something different for once". She begins to address the students. Melissa grabs her violin and starts to play softly. Every lunch break she entertains the students, and teachers, with a song. "Today I am going to tell you a story". she continues. With her violin playing softly in the background. This is indeed different from what she normally does. Then she just plays a song. "Today it is exactly seventeen years and three days ago that I met a very special woman". When she says that she looks at me sweetly. I already know that I have to make a lot of effort to not crying. I can hardly manage to do that every time she plays her violin. "Today it is exactly fourteen years and three days ago I walked into a restaurant, playing this violin. Not much later I got down on one knee to beg that special woman to marry me."

I remember that moment all too well. We agreed to have dinner that day with my mother, sister and brother-in-law. Melissa couldn't make it in time, so she texted me. That me and Rose had better go and that she would come as soon as possible. I was really mad at her. That date had been set for at least a month and she couldn't really give me a good reason why she was late. She was already at least half an hour late and I started to grumble more and more. The others at the table kept telling me not to worry about it, but of course they already knew what was going to happen. When I heard the first note of Make you feel my love come from a violin, I knew it right away. I immediately turned to where the sound was coming from. Melissa in a beautiful suit came walking towards me while playing. Of course the first tears were already running down my cheeks. When she sat on one knee before me played the last notes, I was already ready to say yes. "That begging was really not necessary." I hear the students laugh when I shout that through the cafeteria. Meanwhile, I quickly wipe away some tears. Melissa continues her story with a big smile on her face. "Today it is exactly thirteen years and three days ago I got to call that special woman my wife".

That day was great too. We celebrated it with an intimate group. With my family, Anne and Emma were there, who had just lived together for a year at the time. Sofia was also there with her husband, Brent. It took her a while to fully accept that her sister and I shared our lives with a woman. Now she has no problem with it at all. I also sometimes wonder whose best friend she is, Melissa's or me. She still lives in Canada, but we are in touch almost daily. Every year we alternate who visits whom. The biggest surprise at our wedding, at least for Melissa, was that Fenna was there too. It was the first time Melissa had seen her again. The reunion between the two is truly a moment to remember. Fenna now lives half an hour's drive away. We visit her almost every weekend.

"Today it is exactly three days ago". I look up to Melissa because I have no idea what's coming next. She stops playing. She puts the violin on the table and stands up. I think she's swallowing some tears. She quietly walks towards me. She takes a deep breath. Then she looks deep into my eyes. "Today it is exactly three days ago I found out that that special woman and I are pregnant." I put my hand over my mouth and my tears begin to run down my cheek, just like Melissa's. "Are you serious?". I ask in disbelief. She nods with shining eyes. I run the last bit to her to fall into her arms. I hear the students cheering. We have been trying for years. For me it went wrong three times at an early stage. After the third time I gave up. I couldn't take it emotionally anymore and my age started to work against me too. Melissa has been trying for a few years now, but always with negative results. In fact, we had already given up hope. Melissa takes my hand and puts it on her stomach. She rests her forehead against mine. Tears of happiness also run down her cheeks. "Here grows our miracle, sweetheart." she whispers. I put my lips on hers. We are taken out of our moment when someone gives us a hug. "Mommy and Mama I am so happy for you. And for myself. I love you". I let go of Melissa to give Rose a good hug. " I love you too". Then Melissa also gives Rose a good hug and I walk to Anne. She also have tears. She experienced up close how difficult it was for Melissa and I. Together with Emma she is the proud parent of two sons. I know how hard she found it to tell me when they were pregnant, but I was so very happy for them both times. "Congratulations I am so happy for you". she says as she gives me a hug. I am glad that the bell is ringing and the peace can return a bit. "Mrs van Buren – Davies you are not going to teach this hour. I'll make sure someone is sent to class. You are urgently needed in the principal's office". Melissa looks at me with a beautiful smile. "Okay only this time, because I love you so much." We walk to my office together. Which I took over from my mother about three years ago. I first discussed this with Melissa and Rose. Rose immediately told me to do it. She'd rather have me as her principal than the chance of me standing in front of her class. Melissa was already working here as a music teacher at that time, so I was going to be her boss. She's never had a problem with it. As long as she was allowed to be the boss somewhere else and I have no problem with that at all. The past seventeen years have been truly amazing and I can't wait for the years to come.