Chapter 27 - The Letter

Dear Nova,

If you're reading this, I either killed myself or I was murdered.

I hope that you found out about my death through either someone telling you or on the news. I would really hate it if you were to witness my death, especially if someone were to kill me in front of you.

If that did happen, that sucks.

And I'm sorry about your current well-being. Ever since I have found you in the middle of nowhere, I've always thought you were special. I would have never believed that you would be one of the most talented person I know – if you would even call killing a talent, but I digress.

I really enjoyed the time we've spent together. Ever since I founded this organization 35 years ago, I didn't have anyone. I did have some type of a life though. I had a wife, a house, and a dog.

I never told you this, so it must be a surprise to learn that I was actually once married. Her name was Kim Ha Jun. She was a beauty I tell you. We were married for a while and had a child on the way. But I was a retired hitman. And she did know that, she was the one that found out. I didn't have to tell her. She said "How wouldn't I know? You're too ugly to work in today's society. How else would you feed yourself?"

She was funny. I know you would've liked her. However, being a retired hitman came with its consequences. I refused to do a job for my old handler and he warned me by murdering her in front of my face. I lost everything that day. That's why I really do hope that you wouldn't have the same experience of me being killed in front of you.

If that did happen, again, that sucks.

But I did in fact decapitated my old handler and put his head on a stick in his family's house. I later found out that the bastard was also paid by a politician who had a thing for my wife. What a f*cking loser.

I realized that the world would never get better if there are corrupt people in power. So, I used my talents to establish this organization in honour of my late wife and unborn child. So that's basically how the story went and the place has been operating for 30 plus years. But anyways, back to what I wanted to tell you.

I was such a jerk after I lost my wife. It felt like living wasn't worth it. After finding you, I have to admit. At first, I considered you as just another asset for the organization. I know. I know. You can hate me or whatever. But the process of teaching you everything I know and seeing how you've grown, I knew you would be the most amazing human being. Even though you do get on my nerves sometimes (every f*cking day) and I get the urge to kill you now and then, I have always wondered if this is what it would have been like if I had my child. I think I would have enjoyed being a father if this is what it felt like.

So yes, this is exactly what you're thinking. I do consider you my daughter and I don't care if you don't like it or not, even if it's cringey to you. We're technically father and daughter BY LAW, so you can't deny the facts.

But anyways, I wanted to say that I am very proud of you Nova. I really am. I can't say the same to the other agents. That would be weird if I did that. I enjoyed every second of being the Director of the organization and every additional year I get to see you grow.

You have been a wonderful colleague, agent, a friend, and my family. And while I'm dying, I'll try to remember you when my life flashes before my eyes. It's obvious that I'm not really good at this mushy stuff and I know you hate it, so I'll stop.

To conclude, I would say keep doing what you're doing. I hope you're alive to even read this letter. That would be embarrassing otherwise.

I hope you think I'm special enough to think about me now and then, and I'll try to visit you sometimes in your dreams if that's possible. Wait, Is that weird to say? I think that's weird. I'm not going to scratch this sentence, because the letter would look ugly and I'm not writing this again.

But anyway, this concludes my letter and I want to finish by telling you that 넌 항상 내 딸이었어.

Yours sincerely,

Your amazing father

p.s. I left something behind for you. You would be the best person for this gift. Look at the other folder. I do hope that you've read the letter first or it would ruin my plans. But anyways, don't miss me too much and don't cry for me either (actually cry a little bit, it would fill up my ego).

Love you, bye.