Chapter 8 - The Auction

---

"*sigh* Damn it" I rubbed my head. I stood up and pulled the chair from the floor.

I cleaned the table and put everything in place. I walked outside. A car zoomed passed me. That must've been him. I stayed there for a few more seconds and walked back inside. I locked the door and checked if everything was in order and went upstairs. I put my phone on the table and went straight to bed.

*ring* *ring*

"You've got to be kidding me *groan*" I sat up from the bed and went to my phone.

"What do you want?" I said annoyed.

"I've got something" Carlos answered right after. I went straight to my laptop to 'see' with him.

"What did you find?" I said getting right into business.

"Well it took quite a while to find this, seeing that they are very well protected...I just sent you something" A picture popped on my screen.

"Auction Napa Valley?" I asked him.

"Yes, this is one of the biggest charity events in America. Haven't you heard of it?"

"I haven't been really keeping up with American business" I rolled my eyes.

"...this event supports 25 local nonprofits and strategic initiatives related to community...Health and children's education and the works... Katy Perry performed at the event one time, can you believe that-" Carlos rambled.

"Carlos..."

"Sorry *clears throat*...this event is legal but lots of 'interesting' folks would be there, especially some of the mafia representatives which include the Russians"

"Good. When is this event?"

"Tomorrow at 8pm. Let me check...Leonid Yahontov will be there"

"Igor's brother" Igor is the Russians' leader.

"Correct"

"And what does a charity have to do with what I'm supposed to do?"

"Leonid will be carrying his phone, of course. You'll steal it and connect it to your laptop so that I can extract some data"

"...fine"

"Okay" I hung up.

I walked back to my bed and thought about tomorrow. About the event. My mind kept thinking about the same thing over and over again.

The Santangelos will most likely be there.

---

It was 1pm and I was packing my bags. Napa Valley is in California, which will take me about 4 hours from Chicago. I usually get ready in about an hour, so I should be at the hotel by 7pm at most, to go to the event by 8pm. So, I should be at the airport by 3pm at least.

After packing everything that I needed, including my knives, I ordered an Uber and waited outside. In no time, I was already at the airport boarding the plane.

----

After settling in the nearby Hyatt hotel, I went to get ready immediately. I wore a silk red gown and some gold heels. Not too simple, not too glamorous. I did my hair, wore some gold studs and put some makeup on.

I grabbed my clutch and put my phone and an unused flash drive in it. I decided to use a drive to download the data from his phone and not exit the event with his phone. It would be too risky. I went to the mirror and looked at my reflection.