Chapter 45 - Shard's Mark

That evening, Lady Wei came in carrying a tray. The single bowl of steaming thin broth sitting in the center gave off a spicy minty scent.

"Here, make him drink this."

"What is it?"

"It will help with his ... malady," Lady Wei replied with a slight smile.

"I hope so. He's restless even with the incense."

Xi Xiu nodded in gratitude. She was really worried for Xiao Gui. Even in sleep, he seem agitated. It was more than just the 'Shi Meng Hua', she was certain for his restlessness lacked amorous overtures. Forced slumber brought out the sub-conscious and a deep injustice made him squirm and frown in his sleep. What was it she wondered curiously when he flinched and whimpered burying his head into the pillow. What dark past did Xiao Gui hide behind his cheerful smile, calm confidence and quirky candor.

"Don't worry, dear. I made a light broth especially for Xiao Gui with our vegetable stock. I added some marjoram and other appropriate herbs to counter the 'Shi Meng Hua's' effects. It will help calm his body down."

House Zhang's vegetable stock was a secret mixture of specially grown plants on the islands. It made a common base for soups and broths which accelerate the effectiveness of healing and nourishment. The family routinely used herbs, spices and other medicines with it depending on the need.

The older woman studied the sleeping Shard. If Xi Xiu had not chanced upon him and brought him here, who knows what he might have done. The 'Shi Meng Hua' was a strong drug and if countermeasures were not taken, it's amorous compulsion may have led the Shard into trouble. Whoever drugged the drink was vicious and intended irreparable damage.

Lady Wei shook her head. The vile person had targeted Lady Shuang. It would have been disastrous if she had drunk it. If she did, even an innocent and inexperienced maiden such as her would have been easily been induced to allow multiple partners to ravage her. She would have even consented to an orgy under the drug's influence.

Regret and shame would make her suicidal after it wore off and she realized her calamitous actions. By that time, it would be too late. Lady Shuang would fall into despair and be in a desperate state. When word got out, Xi Xuan would cancel his upcoming nuptials and void the marriage agreement. House Zhai would have to accept whomever who could save Lady Shuang's ruined reputation, not that anyone would. Her shame would be great indeed. They would be lucky if she did not kill herself to escape the stigma.

Lady Shuang was fortunate to have the young Shard take the fall for her although Lady Wei doubted she knew it. Her respect for the Dark Sect rose a notch. Their training enabled the quick thinking and resourceful Xiao Gui to use pain in keeping the drug at bay while he searched for a solution. She glanced at his injured palm. He must have been desperate and confused to hurt himself like that. Fighting an external foe was one thing but fighting your own body was quite another.

Xi Xiu had found him near the freezing lake ... Lady Wei's eyes widened in realization. Surely, he was not thinking of jumping in to shock his body? He must have known to do so would mean certain death. The ice cold water could numb one's senses making swimming difficult if he did not get out in a few minutes. She wondered if he had been in his right mind or he was confident of his survival skills.

She propped Xiao Gui up as Xi Xiu gently spooned the steaming broth into his mouth. He roused enough to struggle, ingrained training kicking in.

"No-ooo" he spluttered, spitting out the soup. No one was going to poison him while he was down!

"It's o'kay Xiao Gui." Xi Xiu's soft voice soothed him. "It's a broth made from our special Zhang family herbs. It will help reduce the effects of the 'Shi Meng Hua'. Here ... try some."