Chapter 41 - Desires

Ghost tried to walk as normally as possible. He could feel Shuang and Yuan glaring at his back. As soon as he was out of the couple's sight, he leaned weakly against a tree tugging at his ever-present scarf. Was it getting warmer or was it just him? He was starting to feel really peculiar.

The Five shook his head and blinked in confusion. His senses seemed heightened. The sun was brighter, sounds clearer, the chilled air fresher and even the colours around him were more vivid. He touched the tree trunk in wonder. He had never noticed so many shades of brown that made up the bark nor its strong rough texture before.

A random bird twittered and chirped loudly and when its friend whistled sharply back, Ghost winced covering his ears. Why were they shouting at each other? Crazy birds. It was winter, shouldn't they be sleeping or something? A light breeze blew then. The Shard touched his cheek in surprise where his long messy bangs had brushed and fluttered against his face. It had felt like a kiss ... kisses. His heart beat faster and suddenly, he felt hot.

Feeling the first stirrings in his loins, his unruly thoughts wandered to the seductive courtesans at The Blue Peony and The Singing Nightingale and what they offered. Although he fully understood their main underlying businesses, he had never been tempted by them before, viewing his friends there only as entertainers, performers and drinking companions.

But now ... now he suddenly understood how desirable they were. A one night stand with no strings attached, no expectations, no responsibilities and no drawn out relationships. What better way to spend one's money than to have a beautiful, well-mannered and willing girl to flatter and cater to your every whim? They could talk, sing, dance and ... more. He drew in a deep breath and swallowed hard. What was wrong with him?

Ghost shook his head again to clear it. Focus! He was on site in the middle of a mission. He had things to do. Not being by Shuang's side meant that he could take this opportunity to further his own plans. After all, he still had his own mission to fulfil and time was running out. He drew in a shuddering breath, refocused and continued walking heading towards the kitchens. He should check when the additional wedding supplies were arriving. It should be any day after the Engagement banquet. When it arrived, he should be on hand to 'help' and put his final plans in motion.

"Ughhh."

Strong perfumes wafted his way filling his senses. Enticing seductive feminine fragrances that stroked his building desires wrapped him in a cloud. His arousal intensified bringing him to a stop. Ghost staggered unsteadily towards a wall for support almost doubling over as the sweet smells assaulted him.

A group of maids were passing by but they stopped in surprise when they spied the handsome bodyguard. He was leaning against the wall hunched over. Their heady scents, a mix of flowers and spices filled the passageway. Most of the maids knew him. Some knew him by sight and some by reputation.

"Ghost? Are you alright?" asked one in concern.

"He looks so pale. Is he sick?"

"He's the Ghost? Lady Shuang's bodyguard?"

"Yes, that's him. He's so handsome! See why I like him now?"

"Oh yes!!" her friend sighed in agreement.

He heard the whisperings and giggling clearly but pretended ignorance. It was the younger maids.

"Is he hurt?"

"No, I don't think so ..."

"What's wrong with him?"

"Is he drunk?"

"Shall we help him?" the last one squeaked breathlessly in a hopeful tone.

Ghost winced at their voices. They seemed so loud and talking as if he was not right there in front of them. Swallowing hard he looked up to worried faces. They were not helping his embarrassing delicate situation. All he wanted was for them to be on their way, then the noise and their titillating smells would hopefully fade.