Chapter 30 - Fiancé

The next day was bright and sunny. The sun shone through intermittent clouds onto a cheerful festive scene. The sprawling Zhai residence was finally ready and decorated to perfection. Every corner had been dusted and every item wiped down. Even the heavy granite statues which guarded all the entryways and the smaller elegant marble fountains in each visitor's quarters had been scrubbed clean. Trees, bushes and flowerbeds throughout the residence had been pruned artistically so that even the leafless winter shrubs looked pleasing to the eye. All was set for House Zhai to welcome their powerful future son-in law and esteemed guests.

The cold weather did nothing to dampen the charged and expectant atmosphere. Today, Lady Shuang's fiancé, the enigmatic Lord Zhang would arrive with his entourage. But then, the whole Zhang Clan was mysterious.

Some said the new lord was handsome, some said not, he was more the serious type. He was weak, no, he's strong. He depended fully on his guards to protect him but yet there were rumours he was a good fighter. But how? He spent all his time reading dusty books and scrolls. Some said he was a bore, a homebody and rarely left his secluded island across the Grey Straits. He even wrote poetry and painted, if you like that sort of thing. So, maybe he was a romantic after all?

But then, Lord Zhang was also Master of the dreaded Grey Straits, and he managed the fierce pirates that lurked in the turbulent waters. Although his father had tamed the pirates, he too had learned the secrets of the dreaded sea raiders. Now, it seems that he was carving out his own relationship with them. But how did the gentle scholar deal with the barbaric seafarers? It was a mystery. The rampant clashing rumours about him made his arrival even more anticipated. What kind of man was he exactly?

Ghost signalled Key to watch Shuang. She did not usually need much supervision in the mornings. Today, she was instructed to remain quietly in her rooms. The bride would be formally introduced to the groom later. After that, they would be allowed to meet up to get more acquainted before a carefully prepared engagement feast in a few days time.

The engagement banquet was to formally introduce Lord Zhang and Lady Shuang as a couple to the esteemed guests and the world, an expected marriage tradition. The wedding feast would be held a week after that. Lord Zhai had already set the date and planned to move it forwards if Zhang managed to persuade his daughter to marry him faster.

The other six great Houses had arrived and settled in. The lesser Houses too had come to pay homage and witness the historic event, a joining of two major Houses in Zinnu. All would also be welcoming Lord Zhang as the new son-in law of the Ruling House. It was an opportunity to reaffirm allies, size up rival Houses and evaluate the new groom. He presented change and a new twist to the political dynamics. Was he worth the effort to forge a friendship and could he be used? Was he a strong and independent individual or would he a puppet controlled by Lord Zhai? If so, the Ruling House would garner more wealth and power.

The younger Shard slipped out to scout the guests and check out who had arrived and where they were being housed. Also, he wanted to see Xi Xuan again. Was Xi Xiu with him? He wondered, not realizing when his mouth curved up in a smile.

Zhang's entourage arrived within the auspicious Dragon's hour (7.00 - 9.00 am). Ghost watched them from his corner. A long line followed the large ornate eight-man palanquin as it travelled from the main outer gates to the inner receiving courtyard. Ghost raised an eyebrow, Xi Xuan really knew how to put on a show, he thought. The spectacle was becoming of a very 'prosperous groom'.

Lady Zhai was almost giddy with delight. She couldn't wait to meet her precious daughter's future husband. Dressed to the nines in rich deep red silks and lace, she was the epitome of a ruling Lady. Gleaming garnets and rubies dripped from her ears and neck. Large rings adorned her fingers and heavy gold bracelets gleamed each time she waved her decorative fan. Precious stones also winked from the numerous accessories weaved and pinned into her beautifully coiffed hair. Her face was also painted to enhance her natural beauty and to make her look younger. After all, her daughter's renowned beauty was inherited from her.