Chapter 3 - The Blue Peony

The Shard left the burning house and made his way to the 'Blue Peony' back in town. Once outside, he pulled off his black mask and hood to reveal a long ponytail and youthful features. Ahhh!! He could breathe properly again. Even his clothes stank of smoke.

The night air away from the burning house was cool and fresh. It invigorated him.

Stealthily, he entered through a side door into the noisy and boisterous interior ignoring the music, dancing and laughter from the main lounge. The popular place was crowded with commoners and off duty soldiers. The nobles were entertained in another exclusive lounge, with softer music and entertainments suited to their taste. Finer wines were also served there.

Navigating the maze of corridors, private dining rooms and various nooks and crannies in the pleasure house, Ghost arrived at a private parlour. He moved past the outer area into the bedroom.

"Mudan gugu (Aunt Peony)."

The elegant owner of the Blue Peony looked up from her reading. She was seated at the decorative center table. A small boy was sound asleep in her bed. She had done her rounds earlier to ensure her patrons satisfaction. Business was as usual and her capable girls had everything under control.

"Xiao Gui (Little Ghost), you are here," she smiled in welcome. "Shhh, don't wake him, he just fell asleep." She indicated the sleeping toddler sucking on his thumb. "Ah Ling's son has a slight fever but he is better now. Ah Ling is working tonight."

She waved him over. him. "Come sit down ... and next time call me jiejie (elder sister). I told you calling me gugu makes me feel old."

"Only if you call me Ghost. Why does everyone call me Xiao Gui? I'm not a little kid anymore. I'm already seventeen. I'm all grown up!" he grumbled.

Mudan covered her smile with a hand. "You will always be Xiao Gui to me, I am so much older than you."

"You're not old. You look as beautiful as the day I met you."

"Flatterer." Her face clouded up for a moment before she recovered. "You know I looked horrible when you saved me that day. I was already half dead and would have surely died if you had not taken pity on a poor wretch like me." She shook her head to clear it of unpleasant memories. "Anyways, do you want something to eat before you clean up?"

"Clean up?"

Mudan wrinkled her pert nose, "Yes, you stink of smoke and ... " she leaned forward to sniff professionally at Ghost who had taken a seat opposite her, "... an unfamiliar perfume. Hyacinth I think? None of my girls can afford such an expensive scent, did you go to the Singing Nightingale before coming here? Has Yeying (Nightingale) started providing expensive perfumes to arouse her customers' desires to get more business?"

"No, no," he replied laughing at her fierce expression. "You know I would never visit both places on the same night! And I don't know what she has done recently, I haven't been over there for a week. But if you want me to find out I can easily hop over now and ..."

She threw her book at him cutting him off mid-sentence.

"Don't you dare, you scoundrel! You are already here. If you must go, go some other night! The Singing Nightingale and The Blue Peony may offer a few different services but as you know, we are essentially the same. Yeying and I may be friends but we are still business rivals!"

"Ha, ha, ha, o'kay, o'kay," Ghost pretended surrender holding up both hands to fend off any more attacks. "In that case, I'll just have a bowl of noodles, then I'll go to the room before going back."

She nodded and got up to pull a tasseled rope. A few moments later a young girl entered.

"Madame called me?" she bobbed in respect but couldn't help clapping her hands girlishly in excitement when she noticed Ghost. He was really popular among Mudan's girls. "Oh! Xiao Gui is here!"