Chapter 30- Faith

Stupid girl crush- Faith

I don't understand.

I slip into my red velvet straight gown.

I'm supposed to be reading.

I pull on my matching heels.

All they want me to do is read.

I add a bit of pink lipgloss.

So why are they making me attend this crap?

I remove my scrunchie and let my braids fall. The door opens and Amaka steps in, all dressed up too.

"You look beautiful," she compliments. I allow myself to blush, although I feel quite paled next to her.

"You're the queen though," I remind her. She waves me off and hands me a gold watch.

"Here, wear this too."

"Ahan, you sure my hand won't break?" I joke.

"Mummy said I should give you so better wear it, and return it after the party."

"So it's because of the fundraiser she's giving me gold wrist watch, who exactly will be there?" I ask as well leave my room.

"Big men sha. I don't even know what they're raising funds for, I just know there'll be food, fine boys and wine." She makes a sign with her hands that look like: the rest no matter to me. I roll my eyes at her but I share the same sentiment. Except the fine boys, I don't think those will help me at all.

"Oya let's go let's go," daddy urges us. He leaves to go and start the car while Chidinma and Stephanie help mummy tie her gele. They look nice too, they look so expensive. I would love to help as well but my legs are already dying in these heels so I pack myself and my bag into my father's car.

••••

The fundraiser is happening at Eko hotel, no surprise there. Surprisingly, we still make it on time and we secure great seats at the front. I sit next to Amaka and try to look as far away from the camera as I can.

"How long is this thing supposed to be?" I whisper to her.

"The card said 10 to 3 but it's 10:39 and they haven't even started."

"Ah."

••••

They eventually start around 10:50. After the introductions I lose interest in everything they say. It's not that I'm not interested, I don't understand. At all, and they haven't brought the food yet so there's nothing to distract myself with. I would text but everyone's at school, like normal kids. Learning.

When I've had it up to my neck I quietly excuse myself and make my way to the toilet. The moment I step inside I let out a loud exhale. Thank God this toilet is so pretty, I can spend as much time as I want here.

And I do.

I spend like 20 minutes standing around until I get tired of standing and wash my hands (for proof) then walk out. I'm not eager to go back to my seat but it seems I come out a bit too quickly because I end up colliding with a boy walking past.

"Oh my, I'm so sorry," I apologise when I realize his drink got spilled on him.

"Faith?" The sound of Travis's voice sends my heart racing from sheer excitement.

"Travis?" I ask, even though he's clearly in front of me. Perhaps the question is directed more at his physical appearance than his being present. Because Travis looks hot.