Secrets Of A HouseWife

Girls in this house kept a lot of secrets in their hearts, you could see it in the way they whispered songs to themselves when they made coffee, or in how the secrets sometimes exhausted them so much that they suddenly needed some alone time to gain some more energy for the rest of the month. I suppose that's the same with every woman; we all keep little secrets in our heart that makes us tired but at the same time lights up our eyes; our secrets are little fires, carefully placed in a gallery of heart that we hope will never burn down, and we all know that if we keep more and more secrets it might, yet we do it anyways. We keep the fires and we look in the mirror, loving how our eyes sparkles mischievously.

Alice and I never talked about that night with the vibrator and London never brought it up either. Everyone was acting so normal that I couldn't decide if it really was a secret or just not even worth talking about. I noticed that showing affection in this house was very common and honestly, when you're in your twenties, hookups happen. So I never tried to question it either.

I was at my room that day, looking through a box my mother had sent me and smiling at some pictures before Sarah came in my room. She looked around with satisfaction as she sat down next to me. She was wearing a black shirt with a deep red satin skirt that outlined her thighs and butt most delicately.

_you are really clean! I have to clean some of the girl's room almost everyday!

I smiled at her exhausted comment and concluded loudly:

_ so you are basically the mother of the group!

_ more like a housewife!

She said with a sparkle in her eyes as if she was laughing at something that I didn't know. It didn't bother me but made me more curious. I wanted to know her, really know her, but there was something stopping me from it. My mother was exactly the opposite of Sarah; she was outgoing, always hating to be viewed as a "house wife", always in another rally, always organising another event for feminist groups or LGBT kids. And when she wasn't doing that, she was teaching math at the university.and as much as I admired her, my mother subconsciously never let me be in the same circle as people like Sarah. I simply didn't know her language; I didn't know how to talk to Sarah. What if I said something that offended her religion, or her culture? What then? Would she hate me? Would we never talk again? Would it affect...

_ is that you?

I was snapped out of my thoughts with Sarah's question as I looked at the picture in my hand. It was a graduation photo.

_ Yup!

I smiled and gave the picture to Sarah to better analyse it.

_ You look absolutely hot in a suit! Why don't you wear them more?

She gushed and stared at me in a dark green suit in the first row.

_ I used to wear them all the time.

I shrugged and frowned at the memory for a moment before making myself smile in less than a blink. But Sarah saw it.

_ what?

Sarah asked with a mixture of curiosity and worry.

_ it's nothing really...

I tried to say but she kept looking at me with the same expression until I finally gave in.

_ Fine! Fine! If you really want to know, that suit was not originally what I was going to wear!

_ what, did you spill a juice or something on your dress?

She gasped and I laughed.

_ nope! I... everyone was supposed to wear the same thing, girls the same green dress and the graduation robe and boys, well, they were all supposed to wear that suit.

Sarah was now frowning, waiting for the disaster of the story. I guess my tone pretty much told her everything before I did.

_ and so we gave the prom commity our sizes and... the kids in my class they were... they were pretty homophobic... so when the clothes arrived, it turned out that they got me a suit instead of a dress as a way of mocking me.

I chuckled dryly.

_ I mean the lack of queer education in that school was ridiculous! Can you imagine trying to make fun of a lesbian by getting her a suit?

_ it's like our source of power! What were they even thinking?

Sarah said as she was laughing too. But there was an understanding in her eyes. She knew what the problem was. I tried to tell another joke! Maybe about how I rocked the suit better than any of the boys there, but before I could speak, Sarah started talking.

_ I'm sorry they didn't let you feel like one of their own that day darling. It must have felt very lonely.

I shrugged. Feeling my chest tighten.

_ it's not like I didn't handle it well. I always did. I laughed at their faces and brought the suit home, telling my parents how I decided myself to get the suit as a way of expressing myself and we took it to the tailor, bought a pretty cute vest and my mother waved my hair and did my makeup in a masculine way so...

I sighted and took another look at the picture.

_ Well you look too damn hot with that wavy hair ,so... good for me!

Sarah finally joked as she took another look at the picture, her cheeks actually reddening a bit.

_ And I'm definitely showing this to the others.

I jumped with that.

_ no you will not!

Sarah hugged the picture to her chest and started running towards the door with so much determination that for a second I thought she was protecting a baby or something. I tried to catch her but she was fast! Opening the door before I could move but suddenly... suddenly all the childish emotions was wiped from her face and she stopped, looking at the hallway shocked and horrified. I opened my mouth to ask her what had happened but before I could, I heard what she had. The shouts of a man and then London's voice answering him with controlled anger.

I couldn't understand what the man was saying but if I had to bet, I'd say he was speaking Persian...

The housewife in a red skirt finally moved, closing the door and leaning against it with a hand fisted on her chest, eyes full of terror as she said:

_ My father's here.