7

Caspar

I look at my watch for the tenth time in an hour. I walk to the door and leave it slightly open. Then wait for another thirty minutes before slamming it shut. It closes with a bang, I know the hinges are loose.

What the hell is wrong with me?

What the hell am I doing waiting for a girl like I was a lovestruck teenager? A girl who was my student too. God, I was going to hell for my actions.

She didn't appear. She said she would but didn't. I have a copy of her favorite book. This one is an exclusive edition with fresh new notes from the author. A message for her.

Now that my mind is cleared, I think of the consequences. She would surely ask how I got this. The author was anonymous, so how did I get ahold of a special edition and one with a message to her, no less?

She wouldn't believe it was original or would have figured out I was somehow connected to the writer. I didn't want any of that revealed. I almost did though. My obsession with seeing her smile and look up at me with those soul-sucking eyes of hers, like I was a damn hero, nearly made me blow away my cover.

But I was putting a stop to this madness today.

I never treated any of my students as I did with her. I never let any woman be in my thoughts for long. I had sworn off feelings of any type, and for a long time, I succeeded. Until her. I saw her, and I failed. But I could end it.

I should.

I will.

I had let this go on for long

It ends here.

I close my eyes, allowing the raucous in my mind to calm. But it worsens. Because I see her. I close my eyes, and I see her. Every. Single. Time. There was no escaping it.

I get home tired to the bone.

I go straight to the kitchen to get a drink. The house wasn't empty like I thought. A curvy girl with a bright purple bandanna tied like a scarf on her head was standing at the stove. She was humming a tune and moving along with it, completely oblivious to her surrounding.

The new house-help must have started. Though I don't know who let her in. If I was guessing right, it was that annoying prick Travis.

I clear my throat several times to alert her of my presence, but she continues humming and stirring the pot on the stove. Whatever she was making smelled good. My mouth waters in anticipation of tasting it.

I moved until I was standing a few feet directly behind her. I tap gently on her shoulders.

The next thing I know, a hot wooden spoon hits me hard on my forehead.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lily

I look down at the man in horror. He was bent slightly at the waist rubbing his forehead, which was already bruising. He was dressed immaculately in fitted blue slacks and a white button-down shirt. The watch on his wrist looked like it cost more than a grand, and so were the Italian loafers on his feet. Even his hair looked expensive. All wavy looking and shiny.

My entire body freezes as I realize who he must be.

My new boss.

I just hit my boss on the first day.

"Oh, my God. I am so sorry, sir," I say, my voice quivering in fear.

I automatically help him by wetting a cloth to wipe on the bruise. He grabs my hand as I am seconds away from wiping on it. He grips it so tight I whimper from the force.