19.1 Melkyal

The world around me shattered. I was pushed off the ground and thrown back like a rag doll. I crashed at the mass of people behind me and stopped at the nearby building wall in a tangle of limbs and painful moans.

When I managed to get back to my feet, my heart sunk. In the middle of the plaza was a small crater. The cobblestones were ripped out and scattered all around. Mangled cage bars were tossed away as if they were made of straw, not iron.

And in the middle of this wreckage, surrounded by dark flames, stood Sanna. Her eyes became dark empty pits, and the way she smiled sent a shiver down my spine. She was no longer an insolent demon I fell for. The stench of dark magic hit me together with the flames' heatwave. My insides clenched painfully. That was the sight I expected when I was called down to this city to deal with a demon on a rampage.

The Wrath Demon smiled and raised her hands. The dark power swirled around her, ready to do her bidding. She pointed her clawed finger and the luxury pavilion the nobles erected to themselves erupted in flames. The screams and repugnant smell of burned flesh filled the air as humans who were too slow to flee died a horrible death.

There was nothing I could do for them now, so I looked away, focusing on people around me, who slowly got their bearings, still in shock. 

"Get away from here, right now," I prompted, helping them to their feet. "Run as fast as you can. Leave the city. It's not safe now."

"SO, YOU CHOOSE WAR," the Mighty One thundered. He raised Omael's hand, and a flaming sword appeared out of thin air. "I CALL UPON ALL ANGELS. COME DOWN TO EARTH TO STAND AGAINST THE THREAT OF THE FALLEN. WE WILL NOT LET THE DARKNESS FLOOD THE HUMAN REALM. BRING DOWN THE LIGHT AND BURN THOSE FIENDS IN HOLY FIRE!"

The sound of thousand trumpets filled the air, followed by the rustle of hundreds of wings. The sky filled with the angels descending to earth with their weapons bared and the battle cry on their lips. Their beautiful faces were grim but determined and ready to heed the call of their god. 

"No," I gasped. I still had a hard time believing it came to this. An all-out war between Heaven and Hell. I didn't have time to get over my shock as more demons released their power.

Zurgrun disappeared in a cloud of dark smoke and walked out a moment later in his full demon glory with enormous dragon-like wings sprouting from his back and a viciously looking double-bladed sword in his hands.

"Rise, demons!" he bellowed. "The time has come to a stop grovelling and bending our necks under the tyranny of angels. It was not enough for them to see us on our knees after losing the war. They decided to spit on the Peace Treaty and eradicate us, even though we weren't the ones breaking the mutually negotiated laws. It is time to show them that we are the force to be reckoned with!"

The demons roared with a strength that made the ground tremble. I swayed on my feet as another wave of dark magic from combined Fallen powers rolled through the city, almost setting the air on fire.

"Let's give them Hell!" Zurgrun finished with a cruel smile.

"SLAY THE DEMONS! SHOW NO MERCY!" the Mighty One thundered, his flaming sword slashing and turning the closest demons to dust before they uttered a sound.

The roaring demons raised their weapons and rushed at incoming angels, who struggled to form the ranks like a wave. Clash of steel and crackling of magic filled the air as darkness and light collided in an ancient dance. It was tempting to stand there and watch the epic battle unfold or join in. Maybe if it happened a month ago, I would be there, leading the charge with my flaming sword. Doing what I was best at─killing the rampaging Fallen.