17.1 Sannarah

My hands were cuffed in golden shackles, and the wretched metal cut deep into my wrists. My red skin was splashed with dark brown bruises already.

I had a strange feeling of déjà vu.

Unfortunately, this time, my situation was worse. I wasn't just caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. I would pay for the crime I committed─murder and a breach of the Peace Treaty. Even knowing that Melkyal would defend me, my chances of survival were extremely slim right now.

There's always a way out for you, said the voice in my head. I gritted my teeth. It was true, yet I was still reluctant to consider it, even knowing my precarious situation.

„Get a move on." An Angel of Courage escorting me shoved me forward, and I tripped but managed to keep my balance.

"Touch me again, and I'll bite off your hand," I hissed, baring my teeth.

It was just an empty threat, and we both knew it. The golden chains were dampening my strength, and there was no way for me to use my power unless I wanted to go all out. But it would be no turning back after it.

Just make up your mind. It's getting tedious, growled the voice, but I ignored it.

As we approached the city's centre, thousands of voices could be heard. The streets were unprecedently busy, and all people seemed to be going in the same direction we did. Not many public trials were held here. It happened only several times since I arrived, and each instance was a prosecution against the most hated and notorious criminals.

And now, everyone was rushing to see me being judged and executed.

Even the armoured unit of Angels of Courage had difficulty getting through the busy crowd at the edge of the main market. The leading soldier realised shouting commands to the civilians was futile, so he instructed his subordinates to use shafts of their weapons to push stubborn people aside.

Like cattle. That's what mortals were to them.

After a couple of arguments and a few bloodied noses, we finally broke the throng and entered the plaza. I stared around in awe as it was transformed completely. Gone were the stalls of regular vendors and little makeshift carts always full of food.

At the one end of the marketplace, a purple awning was stretched over the rows of comfortable-looking chairs and benches, hiding them from unforgiving rays of the scorching sun. The place was full of people wearing fancy dresses, expensive robes, and doublets. Modestly dressed servants walked among them, serving little bits of finger food and pouring wine or other beverages.

I scoffed. The nobles could turn everything into a party.

A little bit away from them, still conveniently shaded, a row of sturdy desks was elevated. Most of the smaller ones were occupied by scribes, either humans or angels. They were all rushing around comparing their notes on parchments. The central place─the sturdy throne-like chair, was still empty, though, no doubt waiting for the Archangel of Wisdom to arrive.

My escort pushed me into the caged stand in the middle of the market. The bars weren't even necessary. Being shackled in the holy chains was enough to make me weak.

But it was all a big show.

When the door to my new cage closed with a loud clung, I took another good look around. The rest of the people were standing around the plaza. Some used crates and benches to get a better glimpse of the spectacle. I scanned the crowd for familiar faces and found a few. Some I knew, people I had previously had business with, a couple of demons under the glamours.

Most of them looked more curious than angry. If it were Khaneus' trial, the situation would look differently. He murdered ordinary people and made them fear venturing into the street at night. But I was accused of killing a noble and the one with a bad reputation among the regular people. They didn't hate me.