17

—•—

——

"But I don't want to split up!" Leo yells at us. "Leo we have to." Malik and I just told him the news as we ate breakfast, I finally found edible berries yesterday.

"We can't! We are a team!" "Exactly Leo, we are a team and if we make it to the end who's gonna be the one to go home. We all have families we miss." Malik said backing me up. "Might as well as let nature take its course."

"He's right Leo." Leo pouted. "But I don't want any of us to die. It's only day three we can survive!" "Leo, if we stay in this arena an longer we will die! It's getting colder and colder every night." I grabbed Malik's hand. "Look. Malik's turning purple. I can't feel my feet, my shoulders are aching to the point it hurts to move. We have to finish."

A big gust of wind blows through the arena snow was dusted over us. "See Leo." I said showing my point on the cold. "But how am I supposed to decide?" I looked at Malik who looked at me.

"I don't know. We both want to protect you." Malik said which shocked me he actually wants to protect Leo.

"Cypress please don't hate me." I look at Leo. "I want to go with Malik. I know you've kept me alive and everything but, their hasn't been a female victor in a while. And, if I go with Malik no one would expect it. They will think I'm still with you."

I'm bait. I can tell. If he goes with Malik the target is off his back. I basically have a bounty on my head. Might as well as have a neon sign pointing to where I am.

"Well, it's your choice." I grabbed my things. "May the odds be ever in your favor." I kissed the top of Leo's head. He hugged me tightly his arms wrapped around my waist. "I love you Cypress." I lean down. "I love you too Leo." I kissed his head and walked over to Malik.

"If I see you let him get hurt, I'm coming after you." A smile grazed over my lips. His once fearful eyes creased as he smiled. "I won't. I can promise you that." I hugged him which took him by surprise but hugged back none the less.

"I do hope you get back to your sister." I whispered to him so Leo couldn't hear. "If that's in this life time or another." "You deserve to see your family again also." He whispered back.

As I walked away from them I turned to them and smiled.

I do hope they live.

I hope I live too.

Is that selfish?

—•—