1

—•—

——

Today is the day. It's my last reaping. My name is in the bowl I think twenty times. But I'm finally eighteen.

Once I get this terrible day over with, I'll be able to live my life with no fear.

I normally dread this day but I can't quite get rid of this smile.

"Cypress! It's time to get ready." Mother yells. We live in a small creaky old wooden house at the edge of district 5.

I looked out my window at the mountains that filled the landscape. Closing my eyes I hear the hum of the power zipping through my district.

My house doesn't have any electric sadly. But the building the workers are always in, smell like electricity.

We power basically all of the panem. A flick of a switch we can shut it all down.

"Cypress." My mother sings. "Coming." I quickly put on my reaping dress. I've worn the same dress for the past couple reaping's. It's become sort of a good luck charm.

It's a plain white dress with buttons going all the way up to the collar of the neck. It fits tight along my waist and lose around my legs. Falling just above my knees. I always pair it with my plain black nice leather shoes and white socks that have a trim of ruffles at the ankles.

"Cypress!" "I'm almost done!" Mother gets impatient ever since my father passed away she's been in fear of every little thing.

I took my hair and twisted it into a messy but still put together bun. And finally walk out my bedroom. I met mother in the kitchen.

"Oh my, you look, just." She bursts into tears making me rush to her and wrap my arms around her. "Mother dont cry." I stroke her hair.

"It's just, I hate this day!" "I know, I do too. But mother I'm eighteen now! It's my last year. And I have a good feeling about this one." I pulled her away so I could see her face wiping her tears.

"Now, let's go." She nods her head like a little kid. Making me slightly laugh.

"DISTRICT FIVE PLEASE REPORT TO THE CENTER. REAPING WILL BEGIN IN TEN MINUTES!"

"Mother remember, it's going to be alright. I'll see you after." She nods her head. I know if she spoke a sob would come out.

I walked to the sign in station. They prick my finger to take my blood. It used to hurt but the pain has become numb.

I walk over to the eighteen year old section. Everyone stood silently waiting for it to begin. No one's eyes left the ground. The sudden rush of nervousness ran through me making my face go white.

"Cypress." I turn to the person who had said my name. "Lindsey!" I hug her, my gut does a flip making me hug tighter. Why does this feel like it will be our last hug?