016. even in death

XVI. EVEN IN DEATH
"everybody was so happy"

THE FIRST THING SHE SEES is Peter's face, tears flowing from his eyes

THE FIRST THING SHE SEES is Peter's face, tears flowing from his eyes. His face is littered with cuts and small bruises, that she had caused no doubt. There's something else in his eyes that she can't quite place — fear? Grief?

Then she feels the pain, a constant stabbing sensation in her abdomen. It's pretty severe, worse than any physical pain she's ever experienced in her life and when she looks down, she sees why. A large metal pipe, or at least that's what it looks like, is sticking out of her stomach. Great.

Shakily, the girl moves her hand and presses it against the side of it, the skin almost instantly coated in a thick layer of blood – her blood. Peter's hand gently lays over the top of her's, helping to keep some pressure on the wound so that the bleeding may slow down. However, Isabella is well aware it's probably futile now. She's lost way too much blood already.

"That's a lot of blood," Isabella croaks out.

"Y-yeah," Peter stutters lightly, not sure what else to say to her as she lays there. It's such a familiar feeling to him, losing somebody who he loves. "You're going to be okay–"

"You don't have to lie to me, Peter. I know it's not good,"

She can taste the blood now, the metallic flavour filling her mouth. It is now leaking down her chin, staining her skin as a further reminder of how harsh this situation truly is. Isabella has feared death for a long time and now that it's finally nearing her, she doesn't know whether she's fearful — more so sad.

The sadness isn't even for herself, it's for those who she will be leaning behind. Peter and her mother, both who have lost so many people already. And this is the third time that Peter has watched somebody he cares about die, the third time.

"I saw Gwen," She breathes, a soft smile on her lips. Peter is looking down at her, obviously with no idea what to say to that. "And my dad,"

"Yeah?" He indulges her, not wanting her to fade away. His hope is if he can keep her talking, that help will arrive in time to save her. "And what was happening?"

"We had dinner. You were there too. We were eating lasagna,"

Her eyes have glazed over, almost in glee. It's like she has no idea where she is anymore, that the pain is no longer there. The girl's mind is all over the place, moments from her life flashing around in her head. It's as if every bad memory has been thrown out and she's left to relive the ones where she was truly happy. Birthday parties, family events, stuff like that.