Chapter 35 || Annabeth

Here she was. Standing on a side of the arena, terrified for her life. Sure she had been here for three months... but it was still terrifying. She had a dagger. A 7-inch dagger that she feared wouldn't last her in battle, but it was the simplest to wield, so she chose it.

Promise. That's what the dagger's name meant. A promise. Percy's promise. It would keep her safe, right?

"Drew Tanaka versus..." The announcer looked at Annabeth, wanting a name.

"Oh... uhm... Annabeth Chase."

"Drew Tanaka versus Annabeth Chase!"

There were whispers in the sidelines that made Annabeth's skin crawl with anxiousness.

"Oh my gods... Drew's gonna flay her!"

"Crazy girl... she DARES go up against DREW?"

"Poor thing... She's gonna be scarred after this..."

"I hope she doesn't die..."

Drew's eyes were glinting maliciously as she stared at Annabeth. Drew and Annabeth had always butted heads, especially when they were in school. She was the popular girl who beat up people and Annabeth was the typical smart girl who tried to stay out of Drew's way. Well, due to Annabeth's stupid pride, it never ended well.

"No killing, only maiming in this game. Ready... spar!"

Annabeth's breaths came quick as she stared at Drew's sword. It was glinting in the sunlight as if to say "I will kill you". She didn't even see the blow coming until it did. It was a gash across her arm. Blood spurted out of the wound and she could hear Thalia's breath catch in her throat. Annabeth felt pain searing through the spot as blood gushed out. Some people were laughing.

As she heard the mocking laughs of joy as she sat on the floor, Drew smirking down at her, her pride did something good to her for once. Annabeth got up and sliced straight across Drew's face, catching the girl by surprise. The people on the sidelines gasped and Annabeth had the urge to press mute buttons on their throats if they had mute buttons.

Drew's face was now covered in sticky scarlet blood, dripping onto the floor. Annabeth got lucky as Drew's sword soared above her head and she ducked, missing the blow. The way Drew held her sword, Annabeth knew Drew was a seasoned Olympian warrior. She didn't stand a chance. The aching longing for the chance to drop out was tremendous, but her pride controlled her body.

A punch to the face was just what Annabeth needed to cheer up her day. She held her eye in agony as she felt blinded. It seemed to throb and she was sure she'd have a black eye. With a rush, Annabeth's adrenaline pulsing through her veins, she pounced on Drew, tackling the girl to the floor. Now, it was a fist fight as Drew's sword clattered out of her hands and Annabeth's did, too.

Even if the whistles blew, telling them that Annabeth had won because Drew got disarmed first, the girls kept fighting. Drew was beating her up. Badly. Annabeth's adrenaline rush had died down now and she felt every blow, screaming with pain.

"Drew! Stop!" Grover tried to pull the girl off of her, but he got whacked in the stomach.

Drew held her fist up, ready to punch down on Annabeth.

"This is for stealing Percy, you bitch," she said before the fist swung down once.

Pain in Annabeth's head came and she yelled with it. The fist got ready to knock Annabeth unconscious before Drew's weight disappeared. Hazily, Annabeth sat up to see Percy standing there, a murderous gaze in his sea-green eyes as the storm raged at Drew. Water was spilling from the pool, the fountain, the streams nearby... Everything was raging. The earth shook. A hurricane circled above.