Chapter 19 || Piper

Piper raced out of there, still talking to Percy through her watch while she was driving.

"That was close," she said.

"Yeah. But the quails are--"

"You don't need to speak in code anymore, Percy," Piper laughed.

"Fine. We didn't see Mark's group, but another group seems to be lurking around."

"Who's group?"

"Ethan Nakamura's group. And don't worry about him knowing where the safe house is. Chiron moved it somewhere else in Manhattan, remember?"

"Okay, we need to try to capture some of the people in the group. It's the only way to get more information. So far, they've only gotten one piece of information from the two captives we have from Mark's group."

"Jason said they're all in one huge group at the moment, and he's not sure how we can get them," Percy said. "I guess we might have to stick around for a while once one of them gets isolated."

"Yeah, we're not gonna go into full on war mode with the gang," Piper agreed. "It's too risky if one of us gets killed."

"All I can say is we look hot in these outfits," Percy chuckled.

"Oh, shut up, Percy."

As Piper drove through the streets of Manhattan, a voice came through her watch.

"Hey, Pipes! It's Jason. Hazel and Frank just got here, waiting on you, Leo, Percy, and Clarisse."

"I'm almost there," she responded.

"I'm like... thirty seconds away." Percy's reply came hushed. "But I might need to drive in a loop so the gang doesn't suspect me."

"Same," Clarisse said.

"McShizzle in the house!" Leo whispered. "Jason, I'm gonna be behind you in a sec."

"Any intel? Look for a weak spot."

"You do realize these are gangs, right? Getting the weakling isn't going to help. I doubt they even have a weakling!" Hazel whispered.

"No, look for weak spots on every gang member. For example, if they tend to boast a lot. If we have to, we can do a direct confrontation with just one person, challenging one person who can lead them away. Or if they're normally a bit more terrified, we can somehow manage to scare them into our clutches."

"Clutches. That sounds really weird," Piper chuckled.

"You think?" Jason scoffed.

"Sh!" Leo hissed. "I think they might know something's up."

"They're turning to leave! Percy, you've gotta intercept them!" Frank whispered.

"Don't worry, I'm already out of the car with weapons. What about you, Pipes?"

"I'm approaching. Some stupid man in front of me was being slow." She rolled her eyes.

When Piper reached the area, she saw Percy waiting outside the wall, looking to make sure the gang wasn't leaving.

"Hey," she whispered as Percy almost swung at her.

"Oh," he sighed. "It's just you."

The gang started to leave when Percy emerged, weapons ready, blocking the only exit. Piper stayed behind the wall, ready to jump in if backup was needed.

"Percy Jackson," one gasped and Piper bit back a chuckle.

Percy had always hated attention and when everyone all of a sudden started to turn to him as a leader, the other groups all fearing him, he literally turned redder than a tomato whenever it was mentioned. However, Percy seemed to be doing better now, simply rolling his eyes.

"Who else would I be?" he asked as if the answer was obvious.

Ethan chuckled, coming to the front of the gang group to face Percy.

"I didn't think you were that bad of a spy until you literally just walked straight into this mess. You're outnumbered, Jackson."

"Aw," Percy simply chuckled when Ethan pulled out his gun. "Lovely toys for a lovely five-year-old."

"I'm not a five-year-old!" Ethan lowered the gun.

"Prove it to me. If you're so weak in combat that you have to use a firework machine, you must really be a suck-ish spy. It's no wonder you're the weakling of the gang."

Ethan seemed to tense up at Percy's statements, which just made Piper smile. For once, Percy's knack at making people annoyed came in handy.

"I'm not the weakling! I'm the strongest!"

He motioned for his gang to aim their guns.

"Aw, there's proof again! You can't fight without your band and your fireworks."

Ethan growled, looking at Percy.

"Drop the guns, Nakamura," Percy raised an eyebrow. "Drop them if you're so... strong."

The gang shifted slightly, same with Ethan.

"And how do I know you're not gonna shoot us all at first sight?" he finally asked.

Piper smirked. Percy was way smarter than that. To fall for some random trick. He took out his gun, knowing full well he had a backup one like every Olympian spy did. Of course, it was an unlocked secret.

"I'll drop mine with you," he said. "But if you don't drop yours when I drop mine, you have to swear that you'll kill yourself for breaking what you swore on. And a good spy wouldn't do that. Only cowards do that."

Every gang member tensed and being called cowards. So they dropped their guns as Percy dropped his.

"Convinced we aren't cowards, yet, Jackson?" Ethan crept forward. "Now, stop beating around the bush and tell us what you want from us or why you're here."

Percy sighed, his sea-green eyes meeting Ethan's.

"I want to join Kronos's Army."

Every gang member had their jaws dropped open. Ethan looked pleased.

"Well, you've finally come to your senses," Ethan chuckled. "How Kronos will be delighted to see you! C'mon! Let's get him--"

"No, no, no, no, no." Percy shook his head. "For me, the team is all about trust. And my team never gave me trust. I have to trust that you and I will be fine if we're by ourselves. Not with your gang there to shoot me when my back's turned. That's what weaklings do."

Ethan tensed, but told his gang to scram. Piper saw Jason and Leo waiting by the exit, Frank on the other. When the gang members were gone, Piper took our her crossbow. With one shot, she shot Ethan in the leg.

"AH!" Ethan stared at the arrow in his leg.

"Done playing games?" Percy smirked, bringing out his sword.

"You... You liar!" Ethan glared, pointing at Percy.

"I didn't think you were that stupid!" Percy chuckled. "I guess fate's in my favor today, Nakamura."

"Not on my watch!" Ethan grabbed the gun and shot it as Percy rolled, dodging the bullet.

"You'll have to be faster than that, Nakamura."

The moment some of Ethan's band began to creep towards the entrance, Piper had a hunch that they were going to help Ethan if he needed it. They weren't as dumb as they thought. But luckily, they always had a backup plan. Percy kicked Ethan in the stomach, sending him flying into the wall.

"Is that all you've got?" Percy chuckled. "Come for me, Ethan! Do it like you mean it! Wouldn't wanna go down like a coward, would you?"

Ethan's eyes blazed with fury. "I AM NOT A COWARD!"