CHAPTER 25

"Life and death were so unpredictable. They are so close to each other. We existed moment to moment, never knowing who would be the next to leave this world." Richelle Mead

Welcome home

Such a strange thing to say to someone whom you never met. Time is so funny in this world I seem to be wrapped up in. I couldn't tell if I was coming or going. I was standing still or moving at the speed of light—so many pieces to a puzzle that kept getting more prominent with every step I took.

"What do you mean when you say 'Welcome home?' Do I know you? And if I do know you, why can't I remember you?" I wondered if all my convoluted questions made sense to this beautiful witch in front of me.

"Why don't you and your overprotective mate accompany me into the parlor." She motioned to the door to the left of us. I started to move forward, but Elijah quickly snaked his arm around my torso, pulling me back as he went in first. His eyes darted around the room as his nose sniffed the air. He signaled me to enter the room a moment later, guiding me to the loveseat in the middle.

With a skeptical look, I sighed, "Is this seat acceptable for you, Elijah? Or shall I find a kitty litter box to set in?" He scoffed and raised his eyebrows at my comment. I turned to see the witch sitting in the chair across us with an amused expression. "Are you going to answer my questions, ma'am?" I cringed a little at my sharp tone, still irritated with Elijah.

"How about we have something to eat and drink first." With a wave of her hand, finger sandwiches and glasses of tea suddenly appeared. I admit I was startled, but my hunger outweighed my confusion, and I politely stuffed two sandwiches in my mouth as I grabbed a glass of tea.

"Enough with the theatrics, Sarafina! We are here to get answers, not obtain more questions. My mate might be impartial to your parlor tricks, but I am not. How do you know, Helena? What is the nature of your relationship?" I was shocked at the venom in his voice.

"Elijah, you're still the same no manners Alpha you were previously." He gasped. "Let's get one thing clear. You're a guest in my home, and I will not tolerate disrespect. You have no idea how easily I can sew your mouth shut with a flick of my wrist, but I will not act with such open hostility. But please do not mistake my kindness for weakness." A devious smile spread across her face, and I was momentary afraid.

I interrupted before he could make a rebuttal. "We appreciate your help Ms. Sarafina, and any advice you can give us is greatly appreciated." Elijah glowered at me, but I acted as if I didn't notice. I probably would have to hear about this shit later.

"Still, the same sweet girl trying to make everyone else happy. But I can see a little fire in your soul now. What questions should I answer first, my dear Helena?" She cocked her head to the side.

With so many questions, pinpointing which one to ask first took a lot of work.

"I suppose we can start with the easiest one. How do you know me?" I sighed.

"I first met you in 1510 as a small child. You were about ten years old, rummaging through the trash, looking for food if I remember correctly. One look at you, though, and I could feel you were special. There seemed to be an omniscient glow about you, so my coven and I decided to adopt you." She smiled.

Could you adopt me?

I am trying to remember that.

I can only recall living with one person.

I breathed, "Rosa?"

"Yes, Rosa was a part of our coven, and we assigned her to be your Mother Hen. She was one of our most talented and trusted witches." Her bright tone was forced, as if I was missing something.