CHAPTER 23

"Anyone can make a mistake. It takes a special kind of person to make a mistake, admit to it and face the pain and trouble that comes with making amends. Hang onto those people. They might hurt you, but they'll never make you heal alone." Unknown

Large, warm hands shake my body as I struggle to open my eyes. I swat them away with an irritated sigh. Who in the hell is trying to wake me up, and why can't they get the hint that I am fucking tired? The shaking doesn't stop, and I can feel my annoyance reaching a whole other level, but instead, I let out another annoyed sigh and rolled over on my stomach. Maybe if I keep ignoring this persistent motherfucker they will let me sleep.

"Helena, sweetheart, I know you're tired. I can feel it, but you have to open your eyes. Your whole body is glowing, and I would be lying if I said I wasn't somewhat concerned. So, can you please turn over and open your eyes?"

As much as I wanted to ignore him, I couldn't with all that worry in his tone. Turning over, I stretched my arms above my head and slowly opened my eyes. Elijah took an audible gasp and stroked the side of my face. I can see the worry lines start to develop more under his eyes. "What is wrong, my wolf? You said I was glowing? Like more than usual or something?" I smirk a little while he accesses me.

"Sweetheart, you're glowing more than usual, and your eyes are silver right now. It seems like you have awakened something inside of you. Can you tell me what you were dreaming about?" I sat up abruptly with memories of my dream rushing back to me all at once, and it wasn't just a dream but a vision of my past life. A sudden wash of guilt overtook me, and a tear slipped through my now-closed eyes. "Helena, what has made you so upset? Please talk to me; let me help you. He pleads with me, and I can see the tears threatening to spill from his eyes. Goddess, how could I have treated him in such a manner? How can I remind him of my betrayal? What if he doesn't even remember? It took me a millisecond to realize I needed to tell him the truth. He didn't leave me then and won't leave me now. I have to trust that we were paired for a reason.

Wiping my eyes, I turn my head to look at him. " It wasn't just a dream. It was a memory—a memory of my past life with you. I betrayed you, Elijah. Do you know what I am talking about? My mouth twisted into a pout as I stared into his face waiting on an answer. He picked me up and pulled me into his lap, stroking my hair to my astonishment.

"Of course, I remember the first time I almost lost you. The pain and sadness I felt were....let's say the feeling was something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Is this what have you so upset, my love?"

I shook my head yes, "Elijah, I betrayed your trust, and in doing so, I almost lost my life, and he very well could have killed you. How can you so easily forgive me?" I mumbled as I hid my face in the crook of his neck.

He moved back a little, placing his index finger under my chin and lifting my face so that he could look into my eyes. "Helena, one mistake does not define who you are and what you are to me. A mistake only hurts us if we don't learn from them. Your mistakes could never be more than my love for you, and I know in my heart that you also love me. But I am curious, my love. Why are your eyes glowing silver after dreaming of a memory?"

I blinked a couple of times, trying to piece together everything in the memory, and I remembered Cal telling me my eyes were glowing right after I sucked the life out of the rabbit in the clearing. "What do you recall of that night?" I wanted to know what he knew, and I was curious if I had told him everything that night or that morning when I woke up.

" After I showed up in the clearing and that motherfucker vanished like a bat out of hell, I carried you back to the cottage with Rosa, who mixed some potion while healing your wounds and mending your spirit. You woke up the next morning as if nothing had ever happened. You didn't remember why you were in the clearing or with whom. I chose not to bring the incident up because I feared you would seek him out again, and that bastard would again harm you. So I decided to hide you and you very well until rogue wolves found us and the rest after that." I shuddered as I remembered how we had died together.