Chapter 3✔

"We meet again!"
"...Its not nice to see you."
"Likewise,"

Alizey's Nikkah

The farmhouse was overflowing with the décor stuff and flowers. Zoya was amazed by the splendor. The hanging flowers, the fairy light's it was dream wedding for many. But for Zoya it was too much. She preferred a small wedding, with all the loved one around. Only the closed to heart one would be invited. People who were going to be genuinely happy for her and would be there to bless her. She would wear her Amma ka jora(mother's dress) for the nikkah and not some designer lehnga, with a cost that could at least feed 500 families. Maybe she was exaggerating with the expenses.

Zoya had tried her mom's golden lengha once or twice, when she was a kid. Don't all desi kids wear their mother's dupatta and pretend to be brides? She knew it would look great with light makeup and all. And that pushatani nath (heirloom nose pin) which was given her mother by her Nani.

Yes, that is what my dream wedding is going to look like. She concluded as she imagined a small intimate outdoor wedding.

"Earth to Zoya", Kainat called, pulling Zoya out of her imaginary wedding preparation. "You still haven't changed much. You still space out in the middle of conversations." Kainat told her and Zoya gave her a tight smile in return.

Yes, its same old me while you guys are just wonderfully successful. Did Kainat get a nose job? Zoya wondered as she stared at her nose perfectly straight nose which used to be slightly slanted before. Okay, she wasn't jealous. No, she wasn't. She was happy for them and glad how far they had come. She just hated how they sometimes looked down at her. Like when Kainat had said, " Life is tough on you. We thought you'd be the first one to apply in some German university for Masters. I mean look at you. You screamed Master student with that exceptionally high cGPA of 3.75, extra curriculars, dean's list and all. How's life at university though?" All that mention of her achievements had felt like a slap in her face.

A slap that led her to focus on how her life hadn't turned out how she had expected and hoped it to be. No, I am content with what I have become. I teach at the government University, even if I am still on prohibition. Its huge. I am writing my research papers at the same time. Its huge. Right? So what, if I am not an influencer who rants about the blocked chakras and spiritual awakening. So what, if I don't get pr packages? Right? I am successful? Am I not? She thought trying to put that insecurity back into the box but no matter how hard Zoya tried, Kainat's words did sting. Maybe she hadn't mean to hurt her sentiments. Maybe Zoya was looking too much into the situation like she usually did.

"I lost my glasses and 4 extra kilos. I think I have changed." Zoya told her, pride evident in her tone. She may not be proud of her career, but she was proud of how she had changed physically. Straight out of university, she got her laser operation done and said "bye" to the nerdy glasses. And the kilos she lost, made her feel like a completely different person. Confident in her skin! Sometimes.

"Yeah Zoe. You look good, Heinaa? I never noticed how thick and curly your lashes were before...MashAllah" Fazeela-who was busy curling Alizey's hair said, making Zoya blush.

I love you too Fazeela.

Alizey's makeup was done. Aunty had called this beautician from a well-known parlor. The makeup did cost heaps but after seeing how pretty Alizey looked, it was worth every penny Aunty had spent on it. Alizey who had went with the natural glam, was a sight to sour eyes. Pretty like a picture.

"All the gifts and mithai baskets are ready, I will just go and change now." Zoya declared as she got up, placing that mithai ki thaal (sweets baskets) on the table safely. She had been adding sonay ka warq on the laddos. It wasn't much of a job, but Zoya pretended that it was. It needed a delicate touch otherwise the laados would have been de-shaped. She thought, giving them a final glance satisfied with the job she had done.