Chapter 10

Hunter:

The bar of course is busier than usual tonight so I don't have a chance to go check on Grey in the back like I want to but it is probably for the best. She wouldn't want me fussing over her anyway. For the rest of the night I'm thinking about the conversation I overheard between her and Sam. I can't help but wonder if the guy that Sam was talking about is Jason. The name Grey called me the night I dropped her off at her apartment. Are they the same guy? And is he the reason she is so sad? I debate whether or not I should bring it up to Grey on our walk home and when we are closing up and I'm headed to the back to get her I still haven't decided.

I walk into the back room and I look to the bed and see that Grey is soundly asleep. She looks so peaceful that I'd hate to wake her but I have a feeling she'll be mad if I tried to carry her all the way to her apartment. I decide to wake her and if anything I'll convince her to let me carry her if she gets too tired. I walk over to the bed and crouch down next to her and I gently brush my hand over her hair. She stirs slightly and this cute little moan escapes her lips. I now decide to very gently shake one of her shoulders because I don't want to startle her and I whisper "Grey it's time to wake up".

She stirs a little more and eventually her eyes flutter open. She looks at me sleepily and gives me a small smile and then it's like she doesn't recognize me and she shoots up lightening fast.

"Easy Grey it's me Hunter" I say trying to calm her down.

"Hunter?" she says breathless and then she looks around and calms down. "Sorry I forgot where I was for a second."

"It's ok" I say trying to help her relax. "You ok now?"

"Yea I'm fine" she says catching her breath finally. "It's time to go I'm guessing?"

"Yea are you ready?" I ask her.

"I'm ready" she says getting off the bed and grabbing her jacket. "Let's go."

We leave the bar and are walking down the street towards Grey's apartment and neither of us is speaking. I'm still trying to figure out if I want to bring up the conversation I overhead between her and Sam when Grey breaks the silence.

"How was the rest of your shift?" she asks. I don't know why but I find her question strange. Normally a question like that wouldn't be weird but it's just not like Grey to make small talk.

"It was good. We were pretty busy. I wanted to come back and check on you but I didn't have time but I guess that was probably for the best since you were sleeping" I say.

"Yea and the fact that I would have kicked your butt if you came back there to check on me I don't think I could get into too much trouble back there" she answers me playfully.

"I suppose that's true" I say suppressing a chuckle.

We continue to walk in silence for the rest of the way to her apartment and I feel like things have gone back to normal. It's not that I don't enjoy talking to Grey it's just that I find an almost peaceful state when I'm with her and we are not talking. Being around her calms me in a way I can't truly describe.

We reach her building and I watch her as she goes to the door and I'm surprised when she pauses and turns to look at me. I'm thinking maybe she is just going to say goodnight but instead she says "Would you like to come up for a minute? This way you can get out of the cold for a couple minutes. I could get you some water if you want?"

She's doing that nervous rambling thing again and it is so damn adorable. I could listen to her do that for hours.

"Sure" I say. "I'd like that." She smiles at me and waits for me to walk over to her before entering the building.