forty one

It's been a month and two weeks since I returned to desk work. I had a check up with my doctors three weeks after my incident, but they refused to clear me for the field, saying I needed at least another two weeks.

Today I return for my second appointment. I feel completely fine at this point, the pain almost completely gone. Of course, there was the emotional pain, but I was forced into therapy by Aaron. I completely refused at first, but recently I had been 'over emotional' according to him, and he insisted it was time to face my trauma. I wouldn't open up at the beginning, but I can't deny it has been helping.

"Devyn Carter?" The nurse called my name. I stood and followed her to a room, before sitting on the patient seat placed in the middle of the room.

The nurse took my temperature and completed her basic tasks before leaving the room.

I took out my phone while I waited for my doctors to come. I saw I had a text from Aaron that read,

"Good luck at your appointment. I hope they let you come back, I can't stand another case without you."

I smiled, he wanted to come to my appointment today, but he had an important meeting with Strauss. He wouldn't tell me what it was about though.

I quickly typed my reply saying,

"Me too. I'll call you as soon as I find out:)"

I put my phone back in my purse as the door opened and one of my doctors, Dr. Stevens, entered the room.

"Hey there, how are you feeling?" She asked. I really liked having her as my doctor, she was my age and I wasn't afraid to open up on how I really was.

"I'm actually doing really good. I think I'm ready to go back in the field."

She chuckled, "I hope you're right, but we'll see about that."

I smiled and leaned back in the chair, I knew exactly what she needed to do. It was practically routine now due to how many appointments I've had. I rolled up my shirt, revealing my stomach and she began to press.

"Any pain?" She asked and she felt around my side.

I shook my head no, and she made her way to the center of my stomach, where my scar from my surgeries was located.

"It looks like your scar is fully healed, which is good. What about he-" She was about to ask again, when she pressed on my lower stomach and I winced. "What's wrong? Did that hurt?"

My cheeks grew pink and I furrowed my eyebrows, "Yeah, a little bit," I wasn't sure why it had hurt, I'd never experienced pain in that area before.

She stepped away from me and grabbed my chart. Her eyes darted back and forth as she read everything, "I'm gonna run a quick test to check out your liver, if that's okay with you?"

I nodded and she quickly left the room. I sat back up and started picking at my fingers. I've been feeling fine for weeks now, what could possibly be wrong? All I wanted was to go back in the field with my team, but now I was losing hope that would be happening anytime soon.

Dr. Stevens came back with a variety of tools in her hand. She placed them on a cart that was located in one of the corners of the room and rolled it closer to me. She put on blue latex gloves and flicked on the machine that was on the cart.

I looked at her blankly, quite confused on what she was doing.

"Don't worry, it's practically just an ultrasound. I want to get a better look at your liver and stomach, make sure there's no infection we missed."

I gulped and laid back down. She squeezed the bottle of whatever substance it was on to my stomach and I shivered.

"Sorry, I probably should have warned you- it's cold," we both laughed as she spread the substance across my torso and pressed the machine to my stomach.

She moved the machine around my stomach, while her eyes glared at the screen. She held a look of confusion on her face.

"Is everything okay?" I asked.

"Yeah, your liver looks fine," she mumbled while continuing running her tests. "Devyn, can I ask you something?" She asked and I lifted myself onto my forearms to view her.

I nodded, not sure what she was going to ask.

"Are you sexually active?"

My eyes widened and I could feel myself growing nervous. I nodded slowly, it's not that I was embarrassed to answer, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to hear what she had to say next.

"Is there any chance you could be pregnant?" She wiped the liquid off my stomach and I sat up to a sitting position.

I shook my head, "I'm on birth control."

She sighed, "Technically you aren't anymore, with your antibiotics from the surgeries, they cancel each other out. You were basically taking the placebo pill every day. If it's alright with you, I'd like to call our obstetrician and run a few more tests. It would be too early to tell on an ultrasound, so I-"

The sound of my phone ringing cut her off. I sat there staring at her as my phone continued to ring. I was shocked at what I was hearing.

Could I be pregnant? What if I was? What would Aaron think? Is this why I was so emotional? My mind raced with a million different thoughts that I completely missed the call.

Dr. Stevens sighed, "Devyn, I know this can be a lot, but I think it would help to get some answers."

I was about to respond, when my phone rang again. I cursed under my breath as I pulled my phone out of my purse and answered it, "SSA Carter," I spoke without looking at the caller I.D.

"Devyn?" It was Spencer. He sounded worried, almost uneasy.

"Spence? What's wrong?" I asked quickly grabbing my purse and standing up. The whole team knew where I was. By that and the tone of his voice, I knew something had to be up.

He didn't reply and I could hear faint whispers from his side.

"Is this about Aaron's meeting?"

"Uh, yeah, sorta, we need you to come in. It's- it's-"

"Spit it out, Spence."

"It's Adam. He's finally talking, but he'll only talk to you."

My breathing hitched and my eyes widened. Suddenly I wasn't worried about what Dr. Stevens had told me, my new priority was Adam.

I hung up the phone without responding and went to run out of the room, before turning to see a confused doctor.

"Sorry, I have to go, something came up at work. I'll, uh, give you a call about-" I couldn't bring myself to admit it.

She nodded and I quickly hurried out of the doctors office, and made my way to headquarters to meet my team.