twenty nine

"Two victims in the last twelve days. First was hit while on a morning jog- Maria Delgado, 23. The second was a stranded motorist, Shannon Makely, 43." JJ spoke as she flashed images of the two women onto the screen.

"And what makes the locals think they were connected?" Morgan asked.

"They were both backed over after the initial impact." She clicked her remote, switching pictures.

"No accident there." Rossi chimed in.

"They matched treads at both scenes. Large wheels, all-terrain." Hotch spoke as he read from his tablet.

"Wounds also indicate a raised bumper, so they're thinking large truck." JJ explained.

"No witnesses to either incident?" I asked.

"Nope."

"Two tons of metal make a hell of a weapon." Morgan leaned back in his seat, stroking his goatee.

"Serial killers have been known to become rather attached to their vehicles. Bittaker and Norris even gave theirs a nickname, Murder Mac." Reid stated.

"Bittaker and Norris were sexual sadists. There's no sense of torture here." Hotch spoke up.

"It sounds like thrill kills." I added.

"Victims of opportunity." Prentiss agreed with me.

"With this type of impact, the vehicle shouldn't be hard to pick out of a lineup." Morgan noted.

"Yeah, there should be significant front-end damage." Reid nodded.

"An unsb that kills with his car." Emily sighed, "I haven't seen that before."

"Neither have the police in Bend, Oregon. Which is why they need our help. Wheels up in 30."

--

The plane ride was pretty quiet, everyone exhausted from our long days.

I sat on the window seat with one leg dangling below me, and the other tucked up to my chest. I had my AirPods in, listening to music and looking down at the world below me.

With the night sky, the driving cars appeared to be so little, you could only see them because of their headlights. The giant buildings and skyscrapers radiating from each window where a different person was located. They were all living their own lives.

I turned my gaze from the window to the seats in front of me, only to see JJ and Emily seated with huge smiles on their faces.

I ripped my AirPod out of my ear, "Jesus, you scared me! How long have you been there?"

"Aren't you going to tell us how it went?" Emily asked, ignoring my question.

"What are you talking about?"

"Your date with Hotch!" JJ practically yelled as the two girls giggled in front of me.

"Would you keep your voice down!" I looked around frantically at the other members of my team. Spencer was fast asleep on the 'couch' with an open book resting on his chest. Rossi and Morgan were on the other side of the plane talking about who knows what.

I furrowed my brows when I realized Aaron was no where to be found.

"Relax, he's in the cockpit." JJ rolled her eyes.

I sighed, "If you must know, it was going great before we were rudely interrupted." I narrowed my eyes at JJ.

"Yeahhh, sorry about that." JJ scratched the back of her head. "You guys weren't-" She paused. "You know? Doing it?"