Chapter 3

After leaving the workshop, Blitzen found himself unable to follow Saint Nicholas' suggestion. I don't think I could sleep if I tried. He let out a sigh, leaving a faint cloud in the chilly air. He stood still for a long moment, looking around the quiet village. It's always strange to see it like this at night. During the day, there are elves running around everywhere, calling to one another, and deer pulling sleighs of gifts and supplies.

He knew the elves must be even more tired than the reindeer. They spent all year building millions of toys for children all over the world. Every single day. The elves and deer got a month break in January, but on February 1st, it was time to get back to work.

I'll need rest too. Blitzen knew. But not yet. He headed around the workshop and left the village, walking steadily across the winter landscape. He knew exactly who he needed to see tonight. It was someone he visited every year before Christmas. He'd almost feared he would be too busy this year to visit, but tonight he had time. A bit last minute, but he was sure his friend wouldn't mind.

Blitzen continued. As he strayed further and further from the village, the snow grew taller and thicker until the surface was halfway up his legs. His muscles grew tired quickly, but he chose not to fly. He had great respect for the animal he was visiting and always presented himself as merely a reindeer. He was no greater. Trekking up the snowy side of a small hill, he looked up.

The northern lights shone above, a ribbon of pink, green, and blue across the night sky. At the top of the hill stood a huge dark animal who watched this display of lights in silence. It was just the animal that Blitzen was looking for.

"Greetings, Nanurjuk." Blitzen dipped his head respectfully as he reached him.

The musk ox turned his huge head slowly. "Blitzen." Despite being much bigger than the reindeer, with great curved horns, his voice was a gentle rumble. "I am glad to see you."

"As am I." Blitzen stood beside him, following his gaze to the arctic sky.

This was Nanurjuk the musk ox. Saint Nicholas had explained to The Eight centuries ago that there was always one musk ox in the North Pole who the northern light spirits chose to speak to. In the past two hundred years, there had been many. But none had become as dear a friend to Blitzen as Nanurjuk had twenty years ago.

He was a gentle giant. Kind, independent, and incredibly wise. Despite being hundreds of years older than the ox, Blitzen regarded him as an elder whom he deeply respected.

Blitzen felt at peace as he watched the northern lights ripple slowly in the starlit sky. "Are you speaking to the spirits, Nanurjuk?" He asked after a long while.

"Yes." The musk ox rumbled. "They have much to share tonight." His gaze rested on Blitzen. "Much about you and Donner."

Blitzen's eyes widened. "What do they-" He was interrupted when a deep cough escaped Nanurjuk's throat. His long haired shoulders heaved as he broke into a coughing fit. "Nanurjuk?" As the musk ox slowly recovered, his wide legs trembling, Blitzen understood with a start. "You're ill."

"Yes, yes, I'm afraid," Nanurjuk wheezed, his dark eyes watering. "I have fallen ill this year." He met Blitzen's concerned gaze. "I am very old for a musk ox, you know. I will leave you very soon, I'm sure."

For a moment, Blitzen didn't respond, taken back by his words. The Eight had accepted the mortality of their companions long ago. It was a sad reality, but didn't deeply affect them anymore. And yet Nanurjuk had become a very close companion to Blitzen. Twenty years felt like merely months in Blitzen's infinite life. Surely he didn't have to say goodbye to his friend already?

"But..." Blitzen stared. "Nanurjuk, no... You're my dearest friend. What will I do without you?"

The elderly musk ox smiled at him. "Ah, Blitzen, we mortals all die eventually." He raised his mighty head to the stars, and Blitzen did the same. "Everything on earth lives and serves its purpose. Sooner or later, we all take our place among the stars."

Blitzen's heart sank as he grew overwhelmed with emotion and a sense of guilt. "Will I ever take my place among the stars?" He whispered half to himself. "Must I stay and watch my friends die around me?"

"I do not know." Nanurjuk admitted, blinking slowly. "You serve a greater purpose than most creatures, Blitzen. You and the rest of The Eight. That is why the spirits chose you."

Blitzen shook his head slowly. "Your life is just as important as mine."

The musk ox responded with a weak cough, and Blitzen moved closer to his friend. He had felt death before, long ago. But he had died fairly quickly under the weight of the tree. Nanurjuk was suffering.

"Come to the barn with me," Blitzen urged. "You will be warm and comfortable."

Nanurjuk shook his big head. "My place is here, under the spirits of the north. This is where I would like to die." He closed his eyes and grunted in pain as he let himself sink onto his belly in the snow.

Blitzen immediately dropped to his side. Seeing the concerned look on the reindeer's face, he smiled. "It's alright. I'm not afraid." He had another coughing fit before he rasped. "You should return to your barn."

"No." Blitzen replied firmly and quietly. "I will spend the night here with you." His heart felt heavy in his chest. "This will be our last Christmas together."

Nanurjuk's old eyes were warm and full of emotion. "Thank you, Blitzen. It has been an honor."

"The honor has been mine, old friend." Blitzen settled in the snow beside Nanurjuk. They stared up at the northern lights one last time together.

 They stared up at the northern lights one last time together

***

It was brighter when Blitzen awoke. He blinked slowly and lifted his head from the snow. The stars and northern lights had vanished, for it was dawn.

He slowly looked beside him. Nanurjuk lay on his side, his eyes closed. At first, Blitzen was relieved. He's alright. He's still asleep, that's all. But as he continued staring at his friend, he realized how unnaturally still he was. His flanks didn't move, and his shaggy fur rippled occasionally in the frosty breeze. He isn't breathing.

Slowly rising to his feet, he took a step closer and bowed his head, touching his nose to Nanurjuk's shoulder. He felt no warmth and could smell death.

He closed his eyes and sighed quietly. "Goodbye, my friend." He murmured. "I will see you among the stars tonight."

He spent the next while digging Nanurjuk's grave, kicking and scraping at the frozen ground with hooves and antlers until he made a pit big enough to hold the great ox.

With a sigh, he raised his head and looked out into the distance. The sun rose over the icy horizon, claiming the sky for itself once more. In the village below, the elves and reindeer were awakening.

Christmas Eve was here.