Prologue

Death. It's something that has always existed. The inevitable doom that awaits us all. It can be cruel and sudden. One moment you're gleefully running through a field. The next, you're lying in a pool of blood taking in your final breath.

For a deer, the path to death is often a quick one. We are peaceful creatures, simply trying to live in peace. We harm no one. We thrive off the land we have and take no more. But then a man shoots us. A wolf makes us his meal. A merciless winter starves us.

Deer die all the time. There are so many of us, each single death would appear meaningless. Another rotting body to be reclaimed by the earth. Another nameless animal you might see on the side of the road. That's all. Deer lacked any significance to the world.

But all of that changed two hundred years ago, one stormy night...

***

Thunder crackled over the forest, rain heavily pouring down onto the muddy earth. A tall, strong buck stood in the shelter of an oak tree, shifting his hooves as the earth softened beneath them. He'd been standing there for a while now.

Will this rain ever let up? He wondered, staring at the downpour. A louder clap of thunder echoed through the clouds, causing him to freeze instinctively just before lightning flashed over the trees.

The buck looked up nervously. It's only a little lightning. He told himself, slowly calming. He continued standing still, his fur damp and cold as raindrops slipped through the branches above him. He let out a sigh. I can't stay here all night. He thought. The herd is expecting me.

He raised his antlered head to the dark clouded sky once more and nodded decisively. I'll go. A little storm never killed anyone. He tugged his hooves from the earth's muddy grasp and began heading forward through the trees. He lowered his head, cringing as heavy raindrops battered his body.

Ugh! I'd better get there quickly. I'm going to catch a cold like this. He quickened his pace over roots and around bushes, hoping his herd wasn't too far ahead. Thunder bellowed above him, and another flash of lightning momentarily illuminated the forest.

The buck tried to ignore it and went on, rain trickling down his antlers and face. Thunder bolted angrily at the earth, louder and sharper than ever, and a bolt of lightning slashed open the sky.

The noise made the buck leap backwards in alarm, his eyes stretched wide with sheer terror. Deer were very jumpy. Perhaps this was part of the reasoning behind their easy demise. In this case, it was.

Birds shrieked madly, and the buck turned to see a flock retreating from their tree, which had been struck. The bark creaked and groaned as it bent and was split in half. The buck stared, frozen with shock as the top half of the tree toppled toward him. When he came to his senses, he jerked his frozen muscles awake, about to bolt, but it was too late.

The trunk slammed down into down, forcing him onto his side into the mud. He let out a short shriek of pain as the rough, damp bark pushed down on his body, crushing him against the earth

The unbearable weight sent agony through his body, and he shrieked out again desperately, unable to breathe as his lungs were crushed. There was more pain, then suddenly, darkness.

 There was more pain, then suddenly, darkness

***

A large, cloaked figure stepped through the damp forest. A layer of fog drifted across the trees as the first light of dawn rose in the sky. The cloaked being studied his surroundings for a moment. He knew what he had come for. Now he just needed to find it.

He continued over the slopes of the woods, searching. He was close. He could feel it. He walked around a large oak tree, raised his head, and stopped.

Up ahead, the large trunk of a fallen tree blocked the path. He could just see a golden brown leg sticking out from under it. He stared for a moment, then slowly moved toward the tree.

When he reached it, he circled to the other side of the tree and looked down. A buck lay pinned under the trunk, his black eyes wide and glazed over. The fear still glistened in their dark depths. The lower half of his body was completely crushed under the tree. His fur was sodden and muddy.

The cloaked heavyset figure slowly crouched by the deer and let out a soft sigh, watching it sorrowfully. "Poor fellow. A majestic, innocent creature dying in unfair circumstances," His voice was deep and filled with wisdom. "You have much to offer. And I to you."

He moved his hand forward and gently rested his palm over the dead buck's damp head. For a moment, it was silent. Then the deer's eyes blinked slowly, and he raised his head drowsy, as if merely awakening from a nap. The buck's eyes met those of the one who had revived him.

He removed his hand from the deer and pulled back his cloak to reveal a white bearded face. The old man smiled. "Hello, my friend." His voice rumbled softly as he gently stroked the buck's head, and it's eyes closed contently.

"I have a gift that can only be given to the worthiest of creatures. You are the first." The elderly man told the buck. "This is not the end, my friend. This is the beginning. You will live a new life of honor and purpose."

The buck stared at the man, his dark eyes filled with understanding as the man spoke.

"You will be stronger than any lightning," The bearded man said, moving his gaze across the fallen tree. "Only a force of greatness rather than destruction. Blitzen, is what you shall be." The buck dipped his head in acceptance of his name.

"My name is Saint Nicholas," The old man smiled. "And together, Blitzen, we will bring joy to the world."