32. Nico sounds perfect

Ever since I met Nico, I have looked at the concept of love differently. They all say that love is amazing, selfless, and kind. Yet, if you look at it from a different perspective, it might not be so. 

The first time I noticed my feelings for Nico, they left me confused and scared. But it was how deep the desire was to have her, to have her for me, which is not selfless. The same with Nico, she hid that she is going to England to play for a great club like Tottenham, which is incredible, but it was a selfish act. 

We went against the community to be with one and another, even though they don't know. I don't think it's wrong, but they would look at it as a catastrophe—two girls who play for two teams who hate each other, but that's how the community has made it. People who have nothing else to do than to bring trouble into their own boring lives.  

They can say love is all this and that, but I find it complicated and painful, yet I wouldn't trade what I have with Nico for a thing in the whole world. Of course, I wish it was better where Nico would stay with me. However, we can't always get what we want. That doesn't mean it hurts, though. 

I jumped in my place as an empty bottle hit me on the collarbone, and I frowned at Lynda. She doesn't seem happy with me, where she is sitting in front of me on the pitch. 

"I have tried to talk to you for the past five minutes," She complained.

"I'm sorry," I said as we both got up to our feet and started jogging around the field with the rest of our teammates in the bright sunshine. The feeling of not needing warm clothes anymore when we are outside is amazing. It kind of makes me feel trapped with a thick sweatshirt and sweatpants. I prefer a t-shirt and shorts, it's still a bit chilly, but since we will be so active for practice, it's fine. 

"Are you tired already?" I chuckled as Lynda slowed down the pace.  

"No, just want some space," She pointed at our teammates that are further in front of us now.

"So you and Nico are okay now?" Lynda asked as we kept on jogging a distance from the others. 

"Yeah, we are fine," I took a deep breath.

"Do you think long-distance relationships work?" I asked out of the blue, and she raised her eyebrows.

"Yeah, I do, actually," I almost stopped in my tracks of her answer. 

"I love history, and a long time ago, we didn't have the benefit of technologies like today. Women stayed home while the men went to work. A lot of them had to travel, and some were fishermen. They could be gone for months, some even years before they would come back home," She stopped to take a breath, and we started to walk. I know all of this; I'm just waiting for her to come to the point. 

"The only form of communication they had was letters, and now today we have phones, computers and all of that crap to be able to communicate with each other, so if you look from that perspective, you are actually quite lucky," Lynda shrugged, and she is right though. I don't understand why I haven't thought about it like that before. When did I become so ungrateful for the things around me? 

"Thank you," I smiled at her, and she watched me baffled. 

"It helped," I explained, and she nodded.

"It will be fine, Wilder. Besides, you and I are going to have lots of fun together. Hopefully, you and Nico will see each other once in a while and see what the future will bring for both of you," She hit my shoulder with her fist and grinned. 

"I know you, Wilder, you might be a bit quiet, but once you put your mind into it, you don't stop," She laughed, and I scratched the back of my head.