31. No, don't overthink now

I held the button to shoot on the game too long, and it sent the ball over the goal. Sighing, I waited on the keeper to pass the ball out, but Nico took the controller out of my hands. As I frowned, she sat down on my lap, placing her hands onto my cheeks as she smiled at me. 

"You have been sitting here all day," She chuckled. 

"No, I haven't," I said, and she turned my head to look out the window to see it's become dark outside. 

"Maybe," I laughed, and she trailed her pointy finger from my cheek and down to my bottom lip. She gazed at me in a way I haven't seen in a while, not since the first time we kissed. I'm not completely sure what's going on in her mind. But before I could ask, she leaned in slowly, looking me in the eye, almost as if she had to make sure she was allowed to lay her lips on mine. 

I don't know why she does that sometimes; it's cute, though. Her lips are soft as always, and I can't believe that in a few months, I won't have her with me. She moved her lips smoothly on mine as her hands gracefully snaked their way down to the bottom edge of my shirt.

I smiled against her mouth as she pulled my shirt up gently as if I couldn't notice, but I stopped her with my hands above hers. She broke the kiss and tried to hide that mischiefs grin. 

"A girl can hope, you know," She shrugged all so innocently, and I narrowed my eyes. I remember that I tried to bring up this conversation before when I was sick, but then other things came in the way after that. 

"You want that?" I wondered, and she looked down as her cheeks exploded into a new color. I don't know why it makes her blush so much when I bring up that topic. She can sleep half-naked next to me and not give a damn, but talking about this is difficult. Perhaps it's only my brain that finds it odd. 

"Maybe," She answered through her teeth uncomfortably as she was playing with my hair to distract herself. 

"Is that a yes or a no?" I asked, uncertain, and she smiled as she laid her hands on my cheeks. 

"There are so many things I wish to do with you before I go, including that," Nico said and leaned her forehead on mine, her eyes filled with warmth. 

"What things?" I questioned, wanting to know what she desires because I want nothing more than to make her happy.  

"Well, I always wanted to go on a proper date with you, but that might not even happen considering we can't be in public together," She said sadly. 

"I feel like we never got to do the regular things like others do, for example going to the movies, go out for dinner and hold your hand wherever we go, not that we can go anywhere together around other people anyways," The misery in her voice I can understand because it's unfair, what I would do to turn it all around. 

"But you said you were going to take me camping sometime, which I really want to. So that we have at least," She grinned, and I nodded. 

"Don't get me wrong, Wilder, I love the way we spend time together. I just wish I could take you here and there. Introduce you to a few of my friends and show you off," She chuckled as I crinkled my nose to that. Why would she do that? There is nothing to show off; that is just embarrassing. 

"And then it's the constant fear of people finding out about us. I hate it, but I know it would be frowned upon by our teammates and the whole school," She shrugged while pressing her lips together. 

"I don't care if they hate me for it, but to be able to survive the next few months, I kinda need them to like me," She chuckled, and it made me laugh. 

"Yeah, I think that is crucial," I smiled, and she bit her lower lip as she looked down on mine. 

"I need to tell you something," She said, and I felt my heart beating in a faster rhythm. I don't like when people say that; it's usually not any good news. Yet, I think I had enough of the bad ones for now. 

"No, don't overthink now," She chuckled, placing her hands on my cheeks. 

"Well, you know it's only a couple of weeks for my birthday right," She told me, and I nodded as I remained quiet because I know it's not something she wants to talk about. I have been thinking about what to do or to give her, but I'm not sure yet what is acceptable or not yet. 

"Well, my parents want to go back to the city to Nova's," Nico paused and clenched her jaw. 

"To see Nova for our birthday, but I asked if we could go and be back here, so I could spend it with you. It might not be fair for Nova, but there is no one else I would like to be with than with you on that day," She said, and the thought that she thinks it would be unfair for her sister is out of this world. I know how deeply she loved Nova and that even when she is gone, Nico is considering her sister's feelings. 

"We can go camping on your birthday if you want?" I asked, and her whole face lit up. 

"Yes, I would love that," She grinned.

"Okay, I'll make sure we have everything we need," I smiled, and she laid her arms over my shoulder as she rested her forehead against mine.  

"You are the best girlfriend in the world," She said, and I closed my eyes in discomfort. 

"No, I'm not," I disagreed.

"There are far better people out there than me," I said, and she rolled her eyes.  

"Not to me. You are perfect," She smiled and crinkled my nose, which only led her to bit on her lower lip.

"I have imperfections," I shrugged, we all do, but I have one too many. 

"You might think they are imperfections, but I would say it's who you are, and it's that that makes me love you," She said.

"You, Wilder, are something else, and I love it," Nico grinned, and I could feel the heat onto my cheeks rise. 

"I know you think differently, but to me, you are perfect,"