"fourteen"

❛ gloomy gossip and terrifying thoughts. ❜

"𝐍𝐨, 𝐧𝐨 𝐧𝐨

"𝐍𝐨, 𝐧𝐨 𝐧𝐨. 𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐝𝐨 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐰𝐚𝐧𝐭 𝐦𝐞 𝐚𝐬 𝐚 𝐬𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐞!"

Mia was mortified. It took her a few minutes to fully comprehend that Paul had just revealed that Embry had imprinted on her. At first, she thought it was a joke, but once the laughter didn't follow his statement, she began to panic.

Both wolves stood in silence as they carefully watched the girls reaction. Embry felt anger in the pit of his stomach at his friend, revealing his biggest secret, but deep down, he felt sadness as the girls' statement stung deeply. The other wolf present didn't know what to say or do. Paul could see the unshed tears in the corner of Mia's eyes that desperately wanted to escape. He tried to step forward to comfort the girl, which resulted in a harsh glare from both teens.

"How could you do this to me? This, this isn't fair! There's obviously been a mistake!" Mia cried as she began to hyperventilate slightly. Her mind was full of anxious and insecure thoughts, and she couldn't seem to remember all the happy times she had spent with the boy she was beginning to like more and more.

But Mia felt like she wasn't enough for him. The thought of someone being stuck with her for the rest of her life troubled her deeply. She didn't know whether she could let someone as sweet and kind as Embry find out her deep and dark self-doubts she had never spoken about, not even to Jay.

The frown that covered her face only got deeper once the boy stepped forward to comfort his imprint. All Embry wanted to do was hold her in his arms and tell her it was going to be alright. However, the girl was panicking immensely at the life-changing news and soon decided she didn't want to be stood in the woods with the two teens anymore.

"Mia, please." The Call boy pleaded sadly once she made a move to leave. She only shook her head in reply as she needed space away from it all, something Emily and Sam would give her, which prompted her to make the short walk to their house.

Alone with her thoughts, Mia's head spun. The teen had always had a plan. Graduate, go to college in Idaho, travel for a while and then settle down in her early thirties. But the revelation had changed that all. She did feel slightly guilty once the initial shock had gone for leaving Embry without a proper conversation. But her head had been all over the place the last few weeks, and she didn't think she could manage a serious conversation without breaking down.

Her pounding thoughts were soon the least of her worries as just as she was walking up the steps of the Uley household, an irritated looking Sam came storming outside. The alphas face softened slightly once he spotted the girl, but he was soon barking out orders to her as he did with the rest of the pack who followed.

"Mia, get inside and don't come out until I'm home. I mean it, Kahele." He commanded as the other boys followed him closely. Sam didn't have to tell her twice as she was quick to make her way inside and into the arms of Emily once she had spotted her in the kitchen.

"Hey, hey, it's okay, Mia. You know those boys wouldn't let Laurent anywhere near here." The woman shushed as the teen in her arms began to shake slightly.

The mention of the rabid vampire cased Mia to whip her head up in confusion as no one had said anything about the man who had threatened her all those days ago. But she was soon able to conclude the pack had gone out to find the bloodsucker, and with a sigh at the thought of a fight breaking out between the supernaturals, she was quick to plop down at the dining table with her head in her hands.

"Bad things keep happening to me. Lately, I feel like I'm cursed." Mia mumbled out, lifting her head slightly to catch the playful roll of her eyes Emily let out.

"You're not cursed. Bad things happen to you because you're dramatic."

"I am not dramatic!" Mia huffed out as she placed her hand on her heart for climactic effect. Something which didn't help her point as she soon dropped her head down again, so she didn't have to see the woman's smirk she would surely give.

"Okay. Fine, let's say for argument's sake you're not dramatic, now, why don't you tell me what's wrong over some food. I've just made a salad?" The Young girl sighed out once she noticed Mia was generally upset and might not be overreacting.

"Do I look like a rabbit?" Was Mia's response to the question just asked. A gentle smack on her head with a nearby oven mitt was what made her finally keep eye contact with the opposite woman as she knew she was stalling on telling her problems.

"Fine. But you can't tell anyone, not even Sam! And this isn't like last time when I told you not to tell him I accidentally killed his pet fish when he visited his mom. This is serious shit!" The teen girl emphasised as Emily sat down to listen.

"Mia, you know I can't promise not to tell Sam - he's my-" She began but was soon cut off by the younger girl.

"I'm Embry's imprint."

Silence followed the teen's statement as Emily did not expect it in the slightest. She had just always thought the two kids had a light crush on each other as she noticed the way they looked at one another the handful of times they had hung out at her and Sam's house.

"You know, I blame Jacob for all of this. I know he didn't do anything, but I'm sure he did something stupid that caused this series of unfortunate events." Mia babbled on as her mind began to race again.

Emily's soft hand on top of her brought the teens worried eyes away from where she picked at her nail. And she soon remembered why she always went to the kind woman for help.

"Imprints don't have to be lovers. An imprint could be a best friend so close to you that your family has added another person to the table when setting up for dinner. It's assumed that there coming on family vacations. It's the most special bond you could have with someone. Everyone has a soulmate. But I think some live in a different era, and some are in the form of a flower or are born thousands of miles apart, so not everyone gets to meet their soulmate... It's tragic, but it makes it more beautiful when soulmates do find each other. That's why I think you should give it a shot, Mia. What's the worst that could happen?"

o. 𝐛𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐰𝐢𝐬𝐡 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐞𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐥𝐝.