Chapter 12

The Cullens stood side by side as the opposing vampires raced out of the trees. Jasper was the first to make a move, and the rest of the coven followed him a split second later.

Lex could see dozens of vampires flooding out of the trees— some she recognized, some she didn't. She felt a momentary sense of relief that she had escaped when she had. She could have been one of them.

A blonde man lunged at her, but Lex was quicker than he was. In one fluid motion, she had dodged his attack and ripped his head cleanly off his neck. His body landed on the grass with a muffled thump, his head following  closely behind. Lex couldn't afford for her thoughts to linger on her first kill of the battle, it was too dangerous, so she moved on.

The sound of vampires being torn apart came from all directions. It sounded like a building being demolished— noises similar to shattering rocks reverberated through the battlefield. Lex couldn't hep but search for Rosalie though the chaos. 

She could see the blonde girl ruthlessly tearing red eyed vampires apart as quickly as they were approaching her. Even now, under these circumstances, Lex was acutely aware of Rosalie's beauty. Lex could feel a protective urge, but she restrained herself from intervening— Rosalie had it handled. Still, she didn't like seeing her mate being attacked. It pissed her off.

Lex grunted as one of the newborns threw her off balance, but before anything else could happen, a large shadow leapt through the air with a ferocious snarl— a wolf. It landed squarely on the attacking newborn, and had ripped its enemy to shreds in mere seconds. Lex nodded a quick thanks in its direction, and continued with the fight.

A girl wearing a beanie attempted to throw a punch at her, but Lex ducked gracefully under her arm. Not wasting any time, Lex threw the girl away from her as hard as she could. This move definitely didn't kill her opponent, but hopefully it would buy her some time to move to a less dense combat area. If Lex had learned anything from living in Riley's basement, it was that these vampires were much more effective when they were able to play off of each other.

Hearing the sounds of a wolf in distress, Lex ran to its aid. It was struggling frantically under three newborns as they attempted to wrangle it into submission. She attempted to tear the attackers off of the wolf, but they were holding on so tightly that she was only successful in tearing limbs off of them. Nevertheless, their foes had been weakened, and the wolf was able to finish the job. The newborn vampires had been reduced to unrecognizable shreds by the time the wolf was finished with them.

The ambiance in the field seemed to shift as the Cullens prevailed over the newborn. The sounds of conflict still echoed in Lex's mind, but the chaos that had surrounded them had fizzled into nothingness.  The only sign of what had just happened was the fire that the Cullens were using to burn the remains of their enemies. 

Mindlessly, Rosalie and Lex found each other as soon as they had determined that the worst of it was over. They held each other tightly, as if the other would float away as soon as they let go. 

From somewhere behind her, she could hear her coven talking about the arrival of the Volturi. She remembered Carlisle telling her about them, but she had never seen them before. Lex wasn't sure that she wanted to be around when they got there.

The fight had felt like hours, but in reality it had only been mere minutes since it had begun. Still, Lex felt on edge, as if more vampires were about to emerge and restart the battle at any second.

"Leah! Don't!" a voice shouted from behind Lex and Rosalie. It startled them apart from each other.

They watched as a gray wolf charged at a leftover newborn. The vampire managed to get his arms around the wolf's neck, and was attempting to tear her head from her body. A russet colored wolf— Jacob— ran to her aid. He fearlessly leapt through the air and into the fight. Everyone watched as they struggled for dominance, but nobody dared to intervene— the way the fight was going would endanger anyone who tried to help. They would have to wait for an opening.