Chapter Fifteen

The week of camping was absolutely one of the best times that Gunnar had ever had at the family land and the best weeks with Victoria. She is back home at the beach and he spends the next couple weeks in investor meetings. Creating activities and plans for kids and volunteers as well as seeing where the money is going and how to keep getting funding. He's set up a few meetings with potential new investors. It takes a lot to keep the center up and running. Luckily he's made a lot of connections through college and the mentorship program he was volunteering at.

This next investor meeting he has is with someone he's known for a while. Jake is Ashley's husband, and Gunnar is silently hoping that Ashely doesn't come today. Jake's family has a few car dealerships and they want to expand to the city. He's always been cool and has a good business selling back at home. They figure if they can partner with our center they can bring in more local people and build growth. Most times this is business for these businesses. They pay to put a logo somewhere and say they are involved in some form with this center. Use for their marketing and a leg up to most other businesses.

He's coming into the city this weekend and we are meeting at the center this afternoon. He'll get a tour of the center then they will go to dinner to discuss moving forward or moving on. Gunnar figures dinner will help keep relationships even if they decide to move on. He just hopes Ashley isn't there.

He has had a pretty stressful week trying to get everything in order and figures a quick call to Victoria will help him calm down.

"Hey, Beautiful,"

"Hey baby, are you ready for tonight?" She asks.

"For the most part. I just hope Ashley isn't there,"

"Me too, she has always had a thing for you," Victoria drops a small comment that shows she is a bit jealous.

"She told me but I'm not interested. She's got nothing on the love of my life," Gunnar rubs his face trying to reassure her.

"Awe, just be careful though. She's pretty manipulative," She warns.

"Are you worried?" Gunnar asks and hopes she doesn't.

"Truth?"

"Always beautiful!"

She takes a big breath on the phone before she finally talks. "I am always worried you will leave me. I used to see the way she looked at you in school and she wasn't too happy that you didn't go for her. She let me know it too. I have watched the way she works a room and works with people. She can break the strongest and loyal person. What's sad is she doesn't even care," Victoria says.

"Do you not trust me?" Gunnar is getting annoyed a bit at this confession. He's felt like he's gone above and beyond for her to reassure her that she is all he wants. His response is slightly firmer than he's been in the past.

"What?" She responds, taken back.

Gunnar is getting really frustrated at having this conversation. He knows it's just because of the lack of sleep and investor meetings always stress him out.

"You don't fucking trust me even after everything these past few months. What else do I have to do?" He begs. "Think I'm going to bed her to get her money? Leave you because she will put out to anyone at any time?"

Silence on the other end of the phone and Gunnar can't tell if she doesn't trust him or if she is stunned by his outburst.

"Jesus is that the kind of man you think I am?" He says with such anger.

"Why are you being so defensive? You wanted the truth! You asked and I told you!" She quickly says. "Now you are going to be an ass!"

"You are assuming I'm going to jump in bed with this girl!" Gunnar responds.