Chapter Eight

Victoria keeps in touch with Gunnar almost every day, sometimes twice a day. For her, being in his arms however brief it reminded her of that safe feeling that she has been searching for. The calm in the storm. No matter how many of the girls would hit on him, he always made her feel like she was number one in his life. That's a feeling she has missed all of these years.

In two days she will head to him, but today she is hanging out with Isla and Henley. The two people she's come to depend on these past few years.

"OK! Spill the beans lady!" Isla says.

"Yeah, you have been vague about Gunnar. I just know he's the long lost high school love," Henley adds.

"Well, I broke up with him before because he was definitely going places in life. My parents would only come around for money for drugs or alcohol," Victoria explains.

"Right we remember," Isla remembers.

"Gunnar was so oblivious to that stuff. He had so much of his own crap, so I just handled my stuff," Victoria says.

"Yeah, it's pretty ballsy you did that. You actually still do that," Henley says.

"It's all I've ever known," Victoria starts. "But even on the worst days, Gunnar made me feel safe. Not only him but his mom and stepdad. They work at the sheriff's office and had just about every call to my house,"

"Gunnar never knew?" Isla asks.

"No," Victoria says quietly.

"Honey..." Henley tries.

"I know, I know. I just couldn't put that weight on him. He would've stayed or changed plans and I didn't have the heart to take that away from him. So I broke up with him and you see him now." Victoria explains.

Henley and Isla nod their heads in understanding. They don't agree but they understand.

"I still love him," She admits.

"It's good you admit it, but wrong person," Isla laughs.

"Do you think he still loves me?" Victoria asks with heightened insecurities.

"He flew in for a night with you, with no sex!" Isla says.

Henley nods her head and smiles big. "No one just does that,"

"Girls, I don't know how to do all this feeling stuff. No one makes me feel the way he does," She explains.

"What do you want?" Isla asks.

Victoria sits back for a moment trying to find the courage to talk. "Everything with him. From the moment I saw him at the reunion, the way he looked at me. When we woke up the next day. That feeling of finally having someone and something to love and love back."

"So?" Isla and Henley say at the same time.

"What if he can't handle me anymore?" She asks.

"You never know until you find out what he is feeling," Isla says.

"You are right. I'll talk to him when I see him," Victoria says. She sits back and takes a deep breath. Just as she does she gets an incoming text from Gunnar.

"2 days," he texts

"2 days," she texts back.

"Anything you want to do while you are in the city?" he asks.

"No, I'll go with the flow for whatever you have planned," she texts back.

"Interesting, well I do have some plans for us. I just wanted to make sure if there was anything you wanted to do, I could work it in our plans," He texts.