CHAPTER 35

GRANDMA'S ADVICE

BROOKLYN POV

When I wake up, the first thing I hear is mom's voice. I turn to the direction of the voice and squint my eyes open. "Finally you wake up. We reached home. Only you two are remaining in the car, come fast." "Mom, what about the café?" I ask in a groggy voice and she shakes her head, "We didn't go because you two were sleeping. Now come fast, everyone's at our house." And with that, she left the car.

With my sleepy mind still confused, I look up and see Luke leaning his head back on the seat, snoring softly. The lights outside shone on one part of his face, illuminating his long lashes. I yawn and rub my eye, before removing his hand from around me and moving away. "Luke." I whisper. No response.

"Luke we've reached home, everyone's out of the car." I say softly and he smiles and mumbles incoherent words under his breath before shifting his head to lean on the side. "Lukeee." I groan, my tired and sleepy mood getting the best of me. He stirs in his sleep and finally turns his head to face me, "Where are we?" He asks, looking around.

"In the car." I stupidly reply without thinking. He leans his elbows on his lap and covers his face. I shake my head, "I'm going." "Wait. Skittles." He says, holding my elbow, "Can we talk? Please?" I lead my head back on the seat, "I'm tired Luke. Can we do this another day?"

"It's Christmas Skittles. I don't want us not talking in the morning when everyone's happy. And plus, I had promised you I would make this Christmas a memorable one for you. I want to keep my promise." He softly says.

"You should've thought of this before keeping stuff so bad from me and lying." I say, sharply. He sighs, "Listen, I didn't know it would hurt you more that I kept this from you, okay? I thought it would be better to do that. But I know now that it's not. I understand what you feel Skittles."

"No you don't." I state, looking at him, "You don't understand Luke. You never have to deal with problems like this. You have everything for a perfect life. Parents who are together, love each other and you, make time to spend together. You have all the money you need to have everything you want, everybody loves you in school, you have good grades, you make your parents proud, you have EVERYTHING Luke! Your life is perfect, you won't understand what I'm going through!"

He stays quiet and looks below my face, "You don't wear my necklace anymore." He plainly states, "Does that-is that to prove that you really hate me now?" He softly asks, his voice wavering a little. I look down, "I wanted to wear it, but mom said a cross would be more suitable. I wore it on my way here, I just had it under my hoodie."

He scoffs, "Wow you're embarrassed of it now. That bad huh? Nice to know, Brooklyn."

"Luke that's not what I meant."

"Save it. See you tomorrow, you need sleep now."

And then he left.

I stay behind in the car wondering how it all turned against me in just a matter of seconds. That is really not what I had meant. Luke took it all wrongly and now he's angry with me.

You got yourself in this situation Brooklyn. Deal with it!

Biting my lip, I put on my normal face and go into my grandparent's house and instead of darkness and silence, I am met with completely the opposite. Everyone was still there, laughing and chatting with each other. My eyes automatically search for Luke and I see him sitting on the sofa in the living room away from the others, with his suit jacket kept neatly behind him. He's using his phone, completely ignoring me even when I sit next to him.