Chapter Forty Nine

Word Count: 1670

¬Rosie

It didn't take us long to track down Jasper.

The day after we spoke to Death, Time discovered from other immortals that Jasper was in his original home in the Devotion Pack. Considering he has been brought back to life, I wouldn't have thought he would want to go back to his old life. However, Time quickly informed me that he has children, even if they are living their own, separate lives now, and that the Devotion Pack has always been his home.

So we are here, standing at the edge of his estate looking in. We have no idea how he is going to react to us. He could be explosively angry, or not be bothered at all. It's frightening to think about, but I know Time wouldn't let anything happen to me, if it did get to that.

"This is it. He should be here," Time says slowly, making no move toward the manor. I can't blame him for being reluctant. It's not easy to apologise to someone, especially when so much has happened between them.

Jasper's house isn't exactly decrepit, but it's hardly modern. With a wooden foundation and structure, it's swamped in vines sprouting wildflowers, half-dead trees leaning over the roof. Just looking at it makes me shiver. It's so dark and creepy, I can't imagine anyone actually living inside this full time like Jasper and his mate once did.

"What are you going to say to him?" I ask. The last thing we need is for this to end badly, in an argument or possibly worse. This is Time's last chance for redemption, so now it's fully up to Jasper to decide whether he wants to forgive him or not.

"We offer to help him find his mate. If she wants to be found," Time says uneasily, as if he suspects that she doesn't. The idea of that makes me very nervous.

"And if he actually wants to find her."

"Trust me, no male will willingly want to stay away from his mate," Time says, looking at me as if I've just said something completely absurd. "Especially after they confirm the bond."

"Okay. Just be nice, remember. I know he burned you, but you did something unforgivable to him," I remind him, grabbing a hold of his shoulders to turn his attention to me. His eyes are burning, far more golden than the light that glows around us. He may not want to admit it, but he is anxious about this. He hasn't faced Jasper in quite along time, and it's not going to be easy now.

"Trust me."

We walk toward the manor, the beauty of it masked by a sense of creepiness, the entire place bathed in darkness. Even from here, it doesn't look lived in, even if this has been rumoured to have once been a family home, before his children began doing their own things...like becoming mated to Fate.

I follow Time up the steps, as he knocks on the front door, giving me a way glance. The air has gone cold, making me shiver. Either it's the shadows, or even nature if anticipating how this is going to go.

When no one comes to answer, Time tests the door. Thankfully it unlocks, otherwise this would never have worked, since it seems Jasper isn't too keen on talking to us already. Instead of calling out for him at the doorway, Time steps in, the shadows of the inner hallway consuming him. I follow warily, my stomach starting to turn as my mind begins to change.

Is this really a good idea?

"Jasper?" Time calls out, the floorboards creaking beneath him. Still, there's no response. "I'm actually not here to hurt you, believe it or not."

Still, no response.

We emerge from the hallway and into a living room, where sure enough, Jasper sits there, lounging back against his couch, giving us an indignant look. "If you're not here to hurt me, then why come here and bother my peace at all?"