||43

Monday, July 13th

Kaida

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••

    "This place is full of desperate characters. If they find out we're collecting a bounty, we might have to fight them all just to keep our prize. Patience." Shivers were sent down my spine with those words. I clutched Zuko's sleeve tighter. I didn't mind fighting them, but that would mean blowing our cover. I frowned, that would really mess things up.

    I was cut back to the game in front of me, "May I have this game?" Iroh said pulling out a chair and sitting down.

    "The guest has the first move." The person displayed a hand out to the table. Iroh places the lotus tile in the middle of the board. "I see you favor the white lotus gambit. Not many still cling to the ancient ways." I raised a brow and looked at Zuko who looked just as confused as I did.

    "Didn't he lose that chip at the port so long ago." That seemed like a life time ago. Zuko looked down at me and shrugged.

    "It ended up being in his sleeve the entire time." He grumbled while I let out a laugh, that was certainly something Uncle Iroh would do.

    "Those who do can always find a friend." He smiled wide and rubbed his stomach, his laughter filling the room. I let go of Zuko and stepped closer to the table, leaning over Uncle Iroh.

    "What in the world is going on?" I asked quietly so the opponent didn't know what was being said. Whenever I played with Uncle Iroh a long time ago, he never used this strategy.

    "Just watch and see," he chuckles giving my shoulder a good pat. I nodded my head, still just as confused as I was before.

    "Then let us play." The opponent said, his face still as straight as a plank of wood.

   The old PaiSho player places another tile on the board. Iroh quickly places another tile as well. Zuko and I sit down and watches intently as the two men place tile after tile on the board in rapid succession. When they are done, the tiles form the shape of a lotus, with the lotus tile in the center.

    "Welcome, brother. The White Lotus opens wide to those who know her secrets." I raised my brow and shot a glance at Iroh, I knew Iroh had a past, but I didn't think it involved a cult.

    "What are you old gasbags talking about?" Zuko spoke while I smacked his arm, he glanced at me and I glared back. He rolled his eyes, crossing his arms, huffing. "I don't think I said anything wrong." He grumbled.

     "I always tried to tell you that Pai Sho is more than just a game." A game that was the entrance to cult? Count me in! Iroh rolls a tile over his knuckles and clutches it.

    Then the two people from behind me started talking again. I was keeping a good ear and eye on them in order to tell when they are about attack.

    "I'm not going to wait any longer!"