||02

Tuesday, June 2nd

Kaida

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••

     I was never for violence. I only fought when I was attacked, and even then I sometimes chose not too. Much to Zuko's dismay as we invaded the South Pole Water Tribe. All his soldiers were doing something, yet I stood back, next to Uncle Iroh as Zuko shot flames at the houses. I winced, knowing how this wasn't what fire was supposed to be used for.

     "Where are you hiding him?" Zuko shouted, sending another wave of fire into the crowd.

Regardless of how much Zuko had changed, I had been his best friend since I was eight, pretty much half of my whole life. I didn't have the guts to tell him to stop. I looked to Iroh, "this doesn't feel right." I shook my head sadly.

    I knew I was supposed to help my best friend restore his honor, but this wasn't the way to go about it. I clenched my fist and bit my tongue. A true fire bender knows when to hold and when to fold. "I know," Iroh said quietly to me. "I know."

    I shook my head before running off to the battle. I caught up to Zuko and stood next to him, my fists out ready to shoot flames. "Kaida?" He looked at me in surprise, this was probably his first time actually seeing me fight. I always practiced with him, but bailed whenever someone tried to duel me. I shook my head, signaling for him to focus.

     "Looking for me?" A little boy popped into view. He had the makings of an Airbender. I raised a brow, was he really the avatar?

    "You're the Airbender? You're the Avatar?" Zuko said, not really sure if what he was seeing was real. I didn't blame him, he looked even younger than me.

    "I've spent years preparing for this encounter. Training. Meditating. You're just a child!" I raised a brow. I thought he was learning that for self-betterment. I was teaching him those things because I wanted him to grow as a fire bender. I didn't think it would be fuel to take down the avatar. I wanted to groan at how stupid I have been.

    Suddenly I was dragged out of my thoughts, "well, you're just a teenager." I chuckled at that, which earned me a sharp glare from Zuko. Then he sent another wave of fire in the direction of the avatar, "If I go with you, will you promise to leave everyone alone?" The avatar spoke, making my eyes widen with surprise.

    It couldn't be that easy, it couldn't be. My heart clenched, I didn't want this to happen. I looked at Zuko, and tried to tell him telepathically to let the young boy go. His Water Tribe friends pleaded for him to stop, but Zuko just walked up to the avatar and tied his hands behind his back. He took his staff out of his hand and handed it to me.

    "Take care of this," he ordered me, I frowned but nodded. walking back to the ship. I looked back at the avatar's friends, the looks of defeat on their faces.

    This was wrong.

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••

    Not even a day later, the avatar now formally known as Aang had escaped and was probably looking for his staff. I just sat in the room staff in hand, waiting for him here. Almost seconds later, the door burst open and there was Aang huffing.

     "My staff!" He yelled, lunging for me. I held it out to him.

    "Here. I'll help you escape." I said with a sad smile, tossing it over to him. "Follow me." I ran out the door before he could respond. Regardless of his questions, Aang stayed close on my tail.