21. Getting into the dark web

You plop onto your bed and watch as Freddy plugs in the computer. Your mind is racing with questions. Freddy sets up all the things. Before he turns the computer on you stop him. He rolled his eyes.

"What is it?"

You reply nervously scratching your head,

"We have to open the processor and clean it first." You hope he's not too pissed.

He frowns at you.

"And you couldn't have told me earlier?"

You let out a nervous laugh. He takes the processor and sets it on your bed. You get a small kit with tools and just stand back watching him. He opens it up and you both grown in disgust. There was A LOT of dust. A whole thick layer of it.

"You should get something... a cloth or a small vacuum even," Freddy speaks, trying not to inhale the dust. You nod and run towards the door to exit when you hear your mom's voice ring out in the hallway.

"Sweetie!"

"Oh no!" you yelp.

Freddy looks at you confused. You dart towards him.

"Quick, we need to hide you, my mom is coming!"

Freddy bolts up. You run towards your closet in the wall and open it. Luckily you didn't have too much stuff in it. You help Freddy get inside and throw some dirty clothes on him to keep him hidden. You close the door just as your mom walks in. She is wearing a cheery smile as usual. You smile awkwardly at her.

"I'm going to the food store, do you want anything?" she asks.

You were a bit thrown off by that question.

"Uh, maybe some -insert favorite food-?"

Your mom nods. "No problem, also your father called. He said that he has to be on the trip a little longer."

You nodded and tried to look sad. She closes the door and you are finally left at peace. You open the closet door and see Freddy scrunched up. He bolts out of his hiding space and shakes your dirty clothes off as you giggle at his comedic display. He huffs in annoyance.

"Were the dirty clothes necessary?"

"I was in a hurry." You defended yourself.

He resumes working on the computer. You bring him a small vacuum you had and you both cleaned up all the dust. After a couple of minutes the processor was cleaned and ready to be used. Freddy plugged and it in and pushed the power button. The screen turns on showing the 'start computer normally' page. He hits enter and you log in.

He turns to you.

"You should know the password to your WiFi router right?"

You laugh a little.

"Uh duh." You lean in and enter it. Success. The computer is officially connected. Freddy proceeded to open settings and started to change some things. You weren't a computer geek so you had to ask.

"Soooo what exactly are you doing."

"Adjusting the settings so it would be harder to track this device." He answers without changing his posture.

You nod and continue to watch him. He then opens the app store and downloads some kind of browsing app. It didn't look like any typical one you knew. He then opens it and enters a website link that immediately asks for login info. He turns towards you. You stare at him not sure what he wants. He sighs and motions you to turn around. Oh okay. You do as he asks and hears him going off on the keyboard. You understand that he is done once he cracks his knuckles. You turn back and look at the website he is logged into. It's just a black screen with a red search bar. You've never seen anything like this.

"What is this?"

You ask him. He turns to you and gives a pretty lengthy answer.

"This is an archive. A serial killer archive to be more exact. It's a place where every little detail of every killer's case is stored. And you can't delete it. I'm pretty sure Nancy has removed information from the deep web, so I won't even bother to check."

"Wait, the deep web?" Now you were confused.

Freddy continues: "There are two parts, well technically three parts, of the internet, the surface web, the deep web, and the dark web. The surface web is all the basic stuff you search up, the deep web is where data and information are stored and the dark web is where all the hackers and illegal stuff lurks."

He turns to you and frowns a little. "Shouldn't you be the one to know all this?"

You shrug and he turns back to the computer. He types his name into the search bar.

'Freddy Krueger'.

Ah so that's how you spell his name. the moment he clicks enter a newspaper heading flashes onto the screen. 'The Spring Slasher strikes again.' You gasp. You recognized that name.

"Wait, you're the springwood slasher?"

Freddy smirks at you. "The one and only." He replies.

The memories flood your head. You remember hearing about the killings and how they found the killer but he got out of jail, so the parents went and burned him alive. And now there were rumors about his spirit still haunting his own home. But those were just legends. You didn't actually think it was real. Well, it is, and it's sitting right at your desk.

"So those rumors are true?" you ask.

He nods. Wow, that's reassuring.

He speaks up, "When I died I was proposed an offer I couldn't resist. I could gain eternity and power by killing. The only limit is that I can only do it in the dream realm but that's not a problem really. The dream realm's limit is only your imagination. I'm in the real world right now so it's dangerous for me. Once we are done I shall resume being back in the dream realm again."

"What happens if someone kills you in the real world?" you ask.

He looks at you suspiciously. "Don't get any ideas."

Publishing: July 14 2020
Edited: March 19 2021