31 | Dissension

Gabriel 

Kicking the dirt in front of me, I ran my fingers through my hair. "Another dead end."

Crouching down to inspect the track, I shook my head in disbelief. "Jacob wasn't here, there's no trace of his scent."

Using a stick to draw circles in the dampened forest floor, I didn't bother stating the obvious.

Stepping closer, James nodded. "If he wasn't here, someone told him."

No kidding Captain Obvious.

Pushing up off my knees, I threw the stick in frustration, sending it barreling into the hollowed cavern below.

"And what. Am I to question every member of our pack? What does that say about me as their Alpha? I don't trust them?"

My voice rose more than I'd intended it to as I pushed roughly past the overgrown thicket.

James followed closely behind as we headed back to the pack, "Evidently you can't trust someone. So you do what you gotta do..."

James was one of the good guys, but Christ he wasn't ever going die of a stroke. As far as he was concerned, everything would always work out in the end. For someone that was a fierce fighter, it was quite ironic that his lackadaisical attitude hadn't gotten him killed. He was a walking contradiction.

I felt my wolf within snarl with impatience. But despite his hunger for blood, it wasn't the time. If I just went around threatening the pack and questioning those most loyal to me, they'd revoke their support immediately. My status as an Alpha would be challenged and I wasn't about to give them what they wanted. What he wanted.

"We keep this quiet James. I'm not alerting whoever it is to my suspicions..." I swallowed the lump in my throat before I continued, "They are obviously cocky as fuck. We do this discreetly..."

We kept walking, James realizing that words were better left unspoken.

Stepping over fallen trees of yesteryear, the only reply was the cruel mocking of the cracking twigs beneath my feet.

~

She was idly lost in thought, curled on the porch swing as I ambled up the front steps. I couldn't help but eye the mark she displayed on her bare neck, my gaze lingering a touch longer than what it probably should have.

"It looks good on you Miesh..."

She smirked before answering, "The sex hair or your mark?"

Stifling a chuckle I walked over, lifting her legs and placing them on my lap as I sat beside her.

Reaching for her hand, I kissed it gently. "Both..."

Taking a bite of her sandwich, she furrowed her brows in thought before speaking between chews, "So. How... was your... morning?"

Clearing my throat, I leaned back to push the porch swing, rubbing her feet as I did so. "Depends... James and I went out to check the boundaries. Couldn't find Jacob's scent but that in itself has raised some questions."

"I'm not surprised. Neve was over this morning. She has her own thoughts on the matter but I think she is off base personally..."

I chuckled. "Ah the Queen hath spoken has she... pray tell?"