Chapter 34 ~ "Trust me"

Nate

I can't sit still, I feel incredibly on edge knowing Sasha's trying to sort everything out with her family. What if she comes back here more torn up than when she left?

I wanted everything to go well for Sasha, as much as I wanted her here, I knew that this was right at the end of the day and she needed to go home and be with her family. I was sad of course that she wouldn't be just across the hall anymore when I wanted to see her. That we couldn't fall asleep together anymore.

But it was selfish to want her here. I couldn't keep her here and I knew she couldn't keep avoiding her issues. She was stronger than I was, more capable of dealing with hard things. 

I was pacing my living room now, waiting for her to come back. Today was rough for her, she was jumpy and nervous. Every time I looked at her she was in a whole other world, overthinking everything. I did what I could to comfort her and she smiled appreciatively. 

I offered to go with her today but she asked that I just wait for her at home. She was worried I could make things worse and possibly add fuel to the fire. So I respected her wishes and waited at home for her to come back. 

Just now I see a few cars pull up to the house and I see Sasha and her brothers step out of them. They give her a hug and she nods waving goodbye and walking back to the house. I wait a little too shamelessly by the door for her and she opens it slowly, finding my eyes. She rushes over and wraps her arms around me.

"Nathan." She says quietly and I feel myself melting in her hands. That was all it took to undo me.

"Is everything alright?" I ask and I feel her nod against my chest. I pick her up and sit down on the couch letting her settle into my side.

I just sit with her for a while knowing she was mildly upset. About what I wasn't sure, but I'd let her tell me when she was ready. She buries her face in my chest and takes a few deep breaths.

"I'm sorry." She whispers and I grab her face to look up at me.

"For what?"  I ask and she sighs.

"I'm leaving." She says even more quietly and I nod.

"That's great Sash." I say quietly and she looks almost confused. "N-not because I want you gone." I quickly confirm and she laughs a bit. "I'm just glad it all went well."

"Alex is coming over tomorrow to get me and my things." She says and I nod. Part of me was almost thankful she wasn't leaving until tomorrow. I'd seen her every single day for over a week, it made me sad that our time of living together was coming to an end.

But I knew she was miserable. She wasn't happy staying here, I knew she felt guilty for imposing and I knew she was bothered by her issues at home. 

"I don't want to leave you." She says quietly.

"I'm not going anywhere." I remind her. "Just because you aren't here doesn't mean I won't be around anymore. I'm all in remember? I'll be with you as much as I can, I'll climb through your window everyday."

"You won't have to anymore." She tells me. "That was the dealbreaker, I told mom if I came home, that I wanted to see you. For you to be able to come over and see me, that I love you and I want to be with you."

"And she agreed?" I ask and she nods.

"She did, she thinks you're 'wonderful'." She says, running her fingers through my hair. "I don't know what I'll do when you're not across the hall anymore."

"Then you call me, or FaceTime me, or I'll even come by and make sure you're alright." I whisper, kissing the top of her head. "How much I love you doesn't change, Sash."